We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Westin Sydney or Shangri La?

Tasmania
1 post
Save Topic
The Westin Sydney or Shangri La?

Hi

My husband and I are planning a weekend away in Sydney in October and we can not pick between the westin and the shangri-la.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Westin Sydney or Shangri La?

Entirely a preference thing, but I prefer the Shangri-La as I like the Rocks area. I was there on the weekend and they were upgrading their Horizon Club rooms. Perhaps call and see when they will be completed. Definitely get a full harbour view room.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,396 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Westin Sydney or Shangri La?

Hello,

I too agree with the above that it's a personal preference thing. What made you choose these two? And are the rates over your travel dates the same? It's usually not.

It also depends on what you're looking at, and what your priorities are. As interstate visitors it would be easy to assume the Harbour view is the priority, but I don't believe it's as clear cut as that. Otherwise you would have easily chosen yourself without any questions.

I'll just quickly point out what you probably already know;

* Shangri-La - Harbour views, great service, one of the best food and beverage hotels in Sydney, including one of the best bars. Awkward location, awkward access

* Westin - One of the best room and hotel interiors, outstanding service, very convenient level walk to Circular Quay and Pitt St Mall, so very central. High floor suites have sweeping skyline views. No Harbour view, public areas aren't as big, and much more select food and beverage offering.

So after all that, if you're after a Harbour view (if considering booking a Harbour view) and you don't mind the awkward access, then it's easily the Shangri-la. It has the wow factor.

However, if things like room interior, decor, architecture, easy access location, and subtle service is important, then Id happily choose The Westin.

Personally? Well I'm biased. I'll take design and style everytime. But I in Sydney.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,306 posts
1,483 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Westin Sydney or Shangri La?

The Westin would be my choice as IMO the Shangri - La is in a difficult location regarding having to walk up a steep hill. The Westin has a flat walk down to Circular Quay & is in a prime location for shopping. As mentioned by KVE the Shang has fabulous views whilst the Westin has none.

4. Re: The Westin Sydney or Shangri La?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2015, 06:17