We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Go Melbourne! The friendliest city AND the most liveable.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Go Melbourne! The friendliest city AND the most liveable.

fox.com.au/scoopla/…

And four out of the top ten are Australian cities.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,349 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Go Melbourne! The friendliest city AND the most liveable.

Four years running! That's the start of a dynasty!

Well, it's a beautiful city, and well deserved I think. As much as I am a biased one eyed blue through and through Sydneysider, I do believe that in general day to day interaction, those Melbournians are pretty friendly and relaxed people.

Credit where credit is due, and congrats to Melbourne I say.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,189 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Go Melbourne! The friendliest city AND the most liveable.

Ha! I've worked you out KVE, you travel a lot, you stay in many hotels, you're a "diplomat". The proof >> Well, it's a beautiful city, and well deserved I think. << I place the emphasis on "I think"

Then we have >> one eyed blue through and through Sydneysider <<, I base my assumptions on that although I live in Tasmania, and obviously the judges didn't come to Tasmania, I was born and raised in Brisbane, and KVE, being the temporary holders of the Origin Trophy, I would have assumed Sydneysiders would have the same relations with Melbournites as they do with Brisbanites, I rest my case Mr Diplomat.

And I must admit I do like VISITING Melbourne, but I assume the judges didn't walk the CBD streets in the morning when the workers were arriving for work dressed in black looking like wannabe FBI agents, focused on their goal similar to looking after the President, no matter who is in front of them and without a smile on their face.

Congrats Melbourne, as I bite my lip :o)

Edited: 19 August 2014, 23:04
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,349 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Go Melbourne! The friendliest city AND the most liveable.

Busted, meekly raise my hand.

You make the word 'diplomat' sound so dirty like... 'politician' or something of the sort. You're right though Rob, I confess right up until I hit that 'Reply' button, I actually had the term 'Mexican' there instead of 'Melbournian', but thought better of it, incase Emel tracked me down (which I know she can). And yes, at one stage I would have said Melbournians were Brisbanites without thongs. But that's all in the past now 😝

More importantly, did you two work together at Groom Lake? Or maybe 411 Elm Street St? I only ask because what are the chances of you and Emel, both using 'diplomat' as the word to describe my posts, less than a week apart? And both used in a 'you dirty fence sitting politician' sense 😅

All jokes aside, I love visiting Melbourne. It's the one major city where I haven't resided for work, and in many ways I'm intimidated by the city. But it gets things right consistently, and does make Sydney look ordinary at times - especially for events and festivities.

Edited: 20 August 2014, 00:16
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Go Melbourne! The friendliest city AND the most liveable.

Lest not confuse 'liveable' with 'a great place to visit'.

I know both cities very well, and when asked on this forum 'Sydney or Melbourne?' I consistently recommend Sydney as the better place to visit. Sydney has everything that Melbourne can offer the visitor - museums, food, cafes, galleries etc and THEN there's the city itself - stunning! Sydney is the glitzy gorgeous starlet who is so dazzling in her appearance that everyone loves her so she really doesn't have to try very hard.

Melbourne, on the other hand, is a better place to live. The traffic is manageable, you can find a place to park your car without selling a body part, there's definitely a friendly 'feel' as you walk down the streets (suburban, not city), the coffee is better, you can find work, the pollies are ever so slightly less corrupt, and, believe it or not, it gets, on average, more hours of sunshine per day than it's northern counterpart. And,best of all,you don't have to waste time deciding what colour clothes you will wear each day.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Go Melbourne! The friendliest city AND the most liveable.

Thanks Emel. I have lived in many cities around the world, including 17 years in Sydney, and I think that at times, I tend to not appreciate what my own city has to offer. Im not too sure what the criteria for "friendliest " city was. They definately did not go to an AFL game where Collingwood and Carlton were playing. lol

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,349 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Go Melbourne! The friendliest city AND the most liveable.

Very valid points Emel.

See, I can't argue with that. The best I could come up with is 'you guys have funny turns at street lights in the city' - which doesn't wash because it actually works - really well.

LOL Navy, now that's funny. Or interview the dentists of Collingwood supporters 😝

Edited: 20 August 2014, 00:36
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,761 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Go Melbourne! The friendliest city AND the most liveable.

You have to live in Melbourne to really know it. I flew in & out for years & thought it was a pleasant city with lots of parks, terrible winter weather,great restaurants, hospitable natives & cranky cabbies on the William Street rank at 2:30.

And then I lived there for a year. Fell head over heels in love.

Laneways, Pellegrinos coffee, the Bloc Arcade, kicking crunchy golden leaves in Autumn sunlight, pub bistros redolent with aromas of cassoulet & burgundy. An hour away to a friend's farm, the Spa & wine country. Early morning runs beside the sea, sliding into one of Acland street's treasures for something sweet & a coffee. Shopping, when it was worth trawling Richmond for designers, sales at the Paris end of Collins street. Early morning at Vic markets,

stocking up for weekend jaunts & coming away replete with samples - and a shiny new teapot from The Teapot Shop.

Melbourne's like a reserved person. You need to sit with them a while before you notice all the beautiful & interesting things about them.

.... And a wet, windy, Winter's day is still the pits when you're running down Collins street, in danger of floating off like Mary Poppins if the damned unbrella doesn't shred in the force 9 gale!

Edited: 20 August 2014, 00:59
Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,189 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Go Melbourne! The friendliest city AND the most liveable.

KVE, I love the hook turn concept thingy, confused the hell of me first time turning in a Melbourne street, it stops those inconsiderate drivers who park half way a cross an intersection when their light goes red.

>> And,best of all,you don't have to waste time deciding what colour clothes you will wear each day. << black you can't beat it, it hides all manner of sins and muffin tops.

I really do like Melbourne, I just won't admit that I lived there when I was a kid (bad parents), and I have quite a few relatives living there, OK and we VITSIT at least 3 to 4 times every year.

emel, I am having a lot more trouble eating my way around every restaurant in Melbourne than I am in Sydney, and IMO Melbourne has the wood on Sydney in the food and entertainment department, sorry Mexican KVE.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,349 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Go Melbourne! The friendliest city AND the most liveable.

Ah now the truth comes out, so Rob, you were both a Canadian and a Mexican at some point. I was wondering why it felt like a comfortable conversation with an old friend at The Normanby :)

I think the first half of Bokhara's experience sums up my experience perfectly. I've spent a huge amount of time flying in and out for work, and working the tracks in my younger years from Albury, but I've never lived there. And it's true, it is one of those places you need to spend enough time, to peel back the layers to get to know.

Pellegrini's, now there's a reason why I'd be happy to work in the city.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,595 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Go Melbourne! The friendliest city AND the most liveable.

I've recently started commuting into the CBD for work & I'd forgotten how great the arcades are! The new Emporium is also very impressive. I've always appreciated the parks & gardens, the true seasons & the choices of day trips out of the city.

And of course the coffee....& the farmers markets :)

Edited: 20 August 2014, 01:38