We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Satellite Phone in The Kimberley

Queensland
Level Contributor
56 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Satellite Phone in The Kimberley

We're off to The Kimberley in 5 weeks and we are wondering if a Satellite phone is an essential travel item. They're definitely not cheap to hire ($18 / day), but for peace of mind I'm guessing they would be worth it. We wouldn't use it unless we had an emergency. What are everyone elses thoughts and experiences in the Kimberley? Are they necessary? THANKS!

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Satellite Phone in The Kimberley

Where in the K's are you going?

I personally don't think you need one even on GRR. If you go more remote to Mitchell plateau- then I would get one. We have our own phone- hardly ever use it- if we do, its kids chatting to grandparents..

Calls are horribly expensive as well.

Gippsland, Australia
Level Contributor
461 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Satellite Phone in The Kimberley

We did the Gibb River Road in June-5 couples, none of us had a satellite phone. There was a phone box that you could purchase phone cards for at Mt Barnett roadhouse that we used to ring Broome and try and book sites in a caravan park. I think there were others too- I remember seeing one at El Questro. One couple we travelled with had a family emergency and their family were trying to contact them. They just rang all the stations and national park camps that we had mentioned we might stay at and found us relatively easily at Silent Grove. The camp host let them use the park satellite phone to ring and make contact. Even though it was a distressing situation for them and they had to cut the trip short and go home, it made me realise that even with no phone or internet reception you are still contactable. If you have a UHF radio in case you run in to trouble so you can call for help, you will be fine. Calls on satellite phones are so expensive and it really is nice to not have to be in phone contact all the time. After all, we all used to live without mobile phones in the "old" days.

Edited: 20 August 2014, 14:05
Queensland
Level Contributor
56 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Satellite Phone in The Kimberley

Yeah they look very expensive. We will be heading to Mitchell Falls - so was wondering if we'd need one in case we do something to the 4WD and need to call for assistance. Do you know if many other cars drive by on that road each day? I guess we could just sit and wait for someone to drive past if something should happen. Thanks for your advice!

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Satellite Phone in The Kimberley

Yes, there are cars around on the MF road, esp in the peak of season. You are never really alone for long.

Will you have a uhf radio in you car?

Gippsland, Australia
Level Contributor
461 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Satellite Phone in The Kimberley

When we were there in late June, the Gibb was as busy as a main highway and the same when we went to Mitchell Falls- I don't know what it's like in September but I wouldn't think you would wait long for someone to come past. Agree, that if you have a UHF it would be handy.

Oz
Level Contributor
11,425 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Satellite Phone in The Kimberley

Hi,

People visited the Kimberly and other remote areas years before sat phone were thought of! If they were adequately prepared they had a fantastic and safe experience.

One of the joys, for me anyway, in visiting remote areas is to be uncontactable. If something bad happens to a family member there isn't anything I can do to alleviate the situation and not knowing will allow me to enjoy my holiday.

Cheers,

Queensland
Level Contributor
56 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Satellite Phone in The Kimberley

Thanks everyone for your help! I'd say the UHF radio will be enough then for peace of mind.

Gippsland, Australia
Level Contributor
461 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Satellite Phone in The Kimberley

Have a great trip. The Kimberley is amazing!

9. Re: Satellite Phone in The Kimberley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2015, 05:16