We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NAB Free Platinum Card Travel Insurance and Cancellation

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
NAB Free Platinum Card Travel Insurance and Cancellation

Hi, I would like to find out more about lodging a claim with NAB Free Platinum Card Travel Insurance for cancellation, because my wife is ill.

The Insurance company is CHUBB. I went through the PDS, but still have lots of questions. One of them is: Could they reject my claim base on “ Pre-existing condition”

Could they say: “ The cancellation is caused by your wife ill health and it is a “ Pre-existing condition”

Can anyone share his/her experience

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,228 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NAB Free Platinum Card Travel Insurance and Cancellation

If your wife's illness existed at the time you booked your flight or holiday, then it would be a "pre-existing condition".

However, many travel insurance policies provide cover for some pre-existing conditions. My ANZ Platinum cover includes things such as diabetes under control with diet, high cholesterol under control with Lipitor, etc.

Without knowing the details, it is impossible to say whether the claim will be met. All you can do is lodge a claim, answering all the questions truthfully, and see what happens.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,467 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NAB Free Platinum Card Travel Insurance and Cancellation

Lodge your claim, the quicker you do this the quicker you will know the outcome. Remember too that even if you have a non-refundable airfare, the taxes are refundable and often form a majority of what you paid for your flight ticket. Travel agents will often drag out and complicate the process of refunding taxes but they must do it (assuming you purchased tickets through an agent). Is there any chance you can defer your travel? Perhaps the airlines and other service providers involved in your trip have a compassionate grounds policy and can offer you credit to use at a later date?

It will likely come down to the nature of your wife's condition, and whether it could reasonably be expected that it could cause her to have to cancel.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,561 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NAB Free Platinum Card Travel Insurance and Cancellation

The most important factor in relation to this is to ensure the medical practitioner completes their section accurately. I had to cancel a trip a few years ago when my wife was diagnosed with a nasty, and the Doctor put down the date of onset of the problem as when she was first consulted about a minor matter which several weeks later was finally diagnosed as a major matter. In the meantime I had pre-paid more travel costs. After I confronted the Doctor in relation to this she agreed that the date should be the date of the diagnoses, not the original consultation date.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NAB Free Platinum Card Travel Insurance and Cancellation

It also depends on age. Many policies don't cover illness if the person is over a certain age.

You should read the terms of your policy. These days, by law, they must be easily accessible and written in plain English.

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: NAB Free Platinum Card Travel Insurance and Cancellation

Thanks so much for everyone's feedback and comment. Much appreciated

6. Re: NAB Free Platinum Card Travel Insurance and Cancellation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2015, 05:17