We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Australia Tomorrow!

Level Contributor
56 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Australia Tomorrow!

I arrive in Brisbane this Monday at 5 am and leave from Sydney on Tuesday Sep. 2nd. I am also going to the Great Barrier Reef as well. This is a bit of a spontaneous trip and I need help with planning fun activities at specific locations and must see/ do/ eat/ buy.

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Great Barrier Reef
Great Barrier Reef
Queensland, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Australia Tomorrow!

buy a guide book from a bookshop at the airport

check out www.australia.com

your questions are a bit broad - what do you want to see? what things do you like doing? what's your budget? how long do you have in Brissie? how long do you have for the GBR? how long do you want in Sydney? I assume you are flying between these 3 destinations - have you got these tickets? all these things determine our advice so before we can really help you need to give us something to work with - no-one here is a travel agent or a mind reader.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Level Contributor
56 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Australia Tomorrow!

I'll have access to a private plane on this trip. The budget is not an issue. I won't know how many days I will be staying at each location since it is dependent on business while I'm in Australia.

This will be my first time in Australia. I've researched a number of activities. On top of my list are holding a koala bear, going to the sydney opera house and scuba diving in the Great Barrier Reef. I really wanted to visit Uluru and even check out the Daintree rainforest but I 'm not sure that can all be done in a week.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Great Barrier Reef
Great Barrier Reef
Queensland, Australia
Uluru
Uluru
3,605 Reviews
Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,094 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Australia Tomorrow!

A week is tight even with your own aircraft as it will take a little longer to fly between destinations unless but you'll still be ahead.

The diving is going to be an issue as you'll need 24 hours after the last dive (even with your own plane they probably wont let you stay low)

If you have 3 days up there you could fit in the daintier (it would also make an excellent option to solve the fly after dive day)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Australia Tomorrow!

Why are we even taking this seriously? Ask your butler and your PA to look into it for you, maybe they can organise some Coles discount vouchers for fuel for your plane too.....

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Australia Tomorrow!

@robol ... wiping coffee off my keyboard ... that is gold!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,094 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Australia Tomorrow!

Robol

Some people. Do actually visit this way

I know guru has done similar in the us where the customer had his own private plane and they would fly from Lubbock to Taos for the weekend to go skiing.

And guru was often asked where he would like to go. He didn't have the a or the butler.

Edited: 24 August 2014, 03:52
Level Contributor
56 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Australia Tomorrow!

It's my bosses plane. I don't appreciate the unnecessary rudeness. Either you respond with a helpful comment or move it along

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to Australia Tomorrow!

Sorry about the rudeness, I promise not everyone is like that. Australians also have an incredibly dry sense of humour, which can sometimes be mistaken for being rude, don't take it to heart :)

So you will have a week, which isn't much time at all to see 3 locations that are so far apart. I'd limit your time in Brisbane to only what neccisary for business, and get up to Cairns as soon as possible. If you are using the private plane then see if you can get up there late at night or really early morning. The reason for this is because reef tours leave at around 9.30-10am, and most domestic flights get there too late to get on them. So you could look at doing a tour the first or second day there, and having a full day after the reef to see the Daintree, as others have said you need 24 hours after diving before you can fly. Try give yourself at least 3 days in Cairns as you can then do a day at one of the wildlife parks where you can also hold a Koala (just Koala, they are not Koala Bears) and see lots of our other native fauna. It will then give you a few days in Sydney to see the city , visit one of our famous beaches and maybe do a day trip out to the blue mountains.

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
6,262 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to Australia Tomorrow!

oh goodness it was just a comment. Life is really not so serious all the time. Just like there are some comments which are not to the posters liking, that goes the same for people who reply. It is a forum after all.

gloves down everyone!

10. Re: Going to Australia Tomorrow!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2015, 05:17