We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have tickets to Sydney on hold - want to reconfim my plan

chicago
Level Contributor
412 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Have tickets to Sydney on hold - want to reconfim my plan

I was planning a trip to Australia last May, and I was asking questions on this forum earlier.

I got a lot of help, and had my plan, but that trip did not happen due to health reasons.

However, I just put air tickets to Sydney on hold (need to buy them within 24 hours) for next May, and wanted to reconfirm my plan.

We will be arriving from Chicago to Sydney on early morning of May, 10 and leaving, on May, 24.

Originally, we wanted to go later in May, but could not find right tickets.

We really would like to catch a glimpse of Vivid Sydney that supposedly starts on May, 22 in 2015.

The plan as follows:

1. May, 10 and 11 - Sydney;

2. May, 12, 13, 14 - Adelaide/Kangaroo Island;

3. May 15, 16, 17, 18 - Cairns (or around);

4. May, 19, 20 - Uluru (I was previously suggested to take a very early flight from Cairns to Uluru);

5. May, 21,22,23 - Sydney (catch Vivid Sydney for first two days).

Does this look good with weather in selected destinations? Will we be able to get a taste of Vivid Sydney during first two days?

Thank you so much for your help!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,950 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have tickets to Sydney on hold - want to reconfim my plan

Vivid can be done in an evening. I assume those dates are not weekend as it is a nightmare at vivid especially on Saturdays now.

chicago
Level Contributor
412 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have tickets to Sydney on hold - want to reconfim my plan

May, 22 is Friday (first day) and May, 23 is Saturday unfortunately.... I do not not see much options.

Will be Friday as bad as Saturday?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have tickets to Sydney on hold - want to reconfim my plan

I agree with GW to avoid Saturday nights at Vivid if you can but 2 nights would be good especially if the weather is not great on the 1st night or you don't get to see everything.

Weatherwise for your trip it should be ok. For Sydney it can be lovely autumn weather with the days still quite warm. Unfortunately some years we also get a lot of rain in May, yet other years can be almost rain free - totally unpredictable this far out sorry!

Edit. sorry was posting at the same time as you - yes Friday should be better than Saturday but being opening night crowd numbers will still be very high.

Edited: 24 August 2014, 22:26
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,950 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have tickets to Sydney on hold - want to reconfim my plan

This will give you an idea

coolevents.com.au/record-crowds-flock-to-har…

Given there was. A 79% rise in the number of visitors from 2013 to 2014. It is very hard to predict crowd levels

chicago
Level Contributor
412 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have tickets to Sydney on hold - want to reconfim my plan

Thank you Gurus and Mia! Sounds amazing, but I am a little scared of crowds.

I use miles to buy tickets, and there are nothing from Chicago for later weeks in May. Hopefully, we will be able to see some of it. :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Have tickets to Sydney on hold - want to reconfim my plan

Oh yes you'll definitely be able to see some of it. I didn't go this year but last year it was the Opera House that was my highlight. You should have no problems seeing that. The crowds will be generally good humoured, particularly early in the night.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,950 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Have tickets to Sydney on hold - want to reconfim my plan

I been a few times now and this year was certainly the most unpleasant around circular quay and that was on a Monday

My tip would be to get there as early as you can. Do customs house first as this is one of the major features which has minimal viewing space. Then I would do the installations in first fleet park. If you head up the hill behind the rocks or to the terrace area around the glenmore hotel you will get an excellent view of the opera house

Having the map also helps as there are numerous other points around the city with displays. IMHO it is not worth the trip up to Sydney university

I would definitely avoid the Cq and rocks for eating on those nights unless you went around 5 pm

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,440 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Have tickets to Sydney on hold - want to reconfim my plan

My only suggestion is that coming to Sydney, leaving 2 days later, then coming back at the end is not an efficient use of time (hotel checkin twice, travel time etc.)

Is there perhaps a way you could go directly to Adelaide, or just take a connecting flight immediately upon arrival so you don't have to leave Sydney airport? This way you could add those days you would have initially spent in Sydney onto the end of your trip and have a longer continuous block of time spent in Sydney.

Maybe coming in via Melbourne (and connecting to Adelaide from there) and departing via Sydney could give you more flight options?

Early morning flight to Uluru is good but I don't know how many direct flights there are. The earlier the better as it would be a long flight if you have to go via Sydney or Brisbane. You could expect a schedule change on a flight like this too as it is still many months away.

chicago
Level Contributor
412 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Have tickets to Sydney on hold - want to reconfim my plan

Mia, Gurus, this is perfect! Thank you for your tips!

Robol, I think this maybe a great idea to connect to Adelaide on arrival day. I just could not think of another flight after 15+ hours of flying, but this is only 2 hours flight, so we may be able to do it.

I was trying to fly directly to Cairns, but it was too complicated with miles. And there were no tickets (for miles) via Melbourne.

How much time do you think I should leave for connection between arrival time (going thru customs, collecting luggage) and a connecting flight to Adelaide?

Is Jetstar a nice airline? I see convenient flight by Jetstar.

Currently, there is one non stop flight from CNS to AYQ at 7:25 am that should work if does not change.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,576 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Have tickets to Sydney on hold - want to reconfim my plan

I always think its funny when Americans ask about others domestic airlines when yours are so crap. Yes compared to US, United etc Jetstar is a fantastic airline!

I think you need at least 2 hours for your connection to ADL