We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel insurance with atrial fibrillation, 48 yrs ???

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
607 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Travel insurance with atrial fibrillation, 48 yrs ???

Hi my partner early this year was dignosed with atrial fibrillation. I have read the very helpful forum from another TA member from 27 January this year. The main difference for me is my partner is 48 years old and in this other forum, he was 81 years old.

We will be travelling to Asia later in the year and trying to organise travel insurance now to be covered for my partner's AF. Westpac bank has knocked us back and they even wanted lengthy reports from the cardiologist.

Would love to hear from other TA members and their ideas and experiences. Which companies to try and have you had a good experience with a claim with any ?? Companies I have in mind so far are Southern Cross, Insure and Go & COTA. I did an easy online quote with Insure and Go just now.They do an online medical assessment and he will be covered with his condition for an extra premium. But wondering what they are like with claims I suppose.

Love to hear from you with any ideas, thanks Franji

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,483 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel insurance with atrial fibrillation, 48 yrs ???

I had a medevac & could not fault COTA.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
607 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel insurance with atrial fibrillation, 48 yrs ???

Thanks Bokhara ? What do you mean by medivac ? Did you have a claim with them ?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
607 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel insurance with atrial fibrillation, 48 yrs ???

Partner now tells me you must have had a helicopter for a medical emergency . If so interesting to hear where you were & what was it an AF condition too ?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,483 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel insurance with atrial fibrillation, 48 yrs ???

Medevac = medical evacuation. Mine was by helicopter in Nepal.

COTA's service was great. We called them, they ok'd the claim, arranged pickup & transfer at the other end, paid all costs. Called me twice to see if I was ok. My total out of pocket was aud 49, which I could have but didn't bother to claim.

I don't have arterial fibrillation, but had a cancer & DVT some years ago. COTA's premium, including the loading for these, was significantly lower than other Insurers I would have used

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
607 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel insurance with atrial fibrillation, 48 yrs ???

Thanks Bokhara for your advice. Will have a look at them for insurance & get a quote. Hope you are keeping healthy & well now

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,249 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel insurance with atrial fibrillation, 48 yrs ???

Read the policies carefully. The way that insurance is regulated in Australia means that you can be reasonably sure that you will receive the cover described in the policy. Do not assume that a policy "ought to" provide cover for some event: read the policy to see whether it does.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,483 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel insurance with atrial fibrillation, 48 yrs ???

Exactly! The overwhelming majority of complaints about insurance comes from people who could not be bothered to read the policy properly. Clarify any queries & anything you don't understand. Get a written response to any questions about things not specifically covered, but which you think "should/could/might" be.

And make sure you don't do anything yourself to negate the cover.

Always amuses me that people can't find the time or energy to plough through 3 pages of dry & boring clauses - that could save them $thousands. Seems a pretty good return on time & effort to me. And, with the "Plain English" policy wording that has been in force for years now, it's not that difficult for most people to understand.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,450 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel insurance with atrial fibrillation, 48 yrs ???

and get your travel insurance as soon as you plan your trip….

lots of time if diagnosis etc comes after booking the policy will be void..

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel insurance with atrial fibrillation, 48 yrs ???

Agree with GurusW, but note that if a medical condition arises between the date you take the policy out and the start date of your trip, you may have to tell the insurer. Southern Cross, for example, are very specific about this, and can apparently charge you an additional premium, but not so sure about others, such as Cover-More (I gave up trying to find anything on this in their policy document!).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
607 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel insurance with atrial fibrillation, 48 yrs ???

Thanks everyone for your great advice. Reading the wording and understanding the policy is very important.

We just have to find a company that will cover my partners AF and then look at the fine print. We have travelled for many years and this is the first time we have had to list a pre existing condition. It is pretty scary too particulary as it is the heart we are talking about. But we aren't going to stop our lives as we are only both in the late 40's !