We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

13 hour layover in Sydney airport with a baby and a toddler

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
13 hour layover in Sydney airport with a baby and a toddler

Hi,

My husband and I, our three month old baby and our two year old boy are travelling from Dublin to Christchurch with virgin Australia/Etihad. We have a 13.5 hour stopover in Sydney arriving at 6am.

Ideally we would leave the airport.

Does anyone have advice on this, the practicalities etc?

My husband is from New Zealand but me and the kids have Irish passports, is it much hassle to get a visa for the day?

Any help is much appreciated!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,039 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 13 hour layover in Sydney airport with a baby and a toddler

Hello,

I think you'll probably get mixed responses depending on everyone's experiences.

My suggestion is purely in regards to practicality. I cannot see you spending the entire 13.5hrs out with a 3mth old and a 2yr old - especially just after getting off a long haul flight. I'd recommend you consider a Day Use room in the city.

Breaking it down, going through the formalities and the travel time to and from the airport (including arriving 2hrs prior to your outbound flight), you will still have 8~9 full hours of room use. This will enable you to freshen up, a place for the kids to nap, and still have a chance to go grab a quick bite nearby.

You also have the option of doing this at an airport hotel, which isn't quite as attractive, but even more practical in that you will eliminate travel time into and back from the city. If this is your preferred option, Rydges is at the airport.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 13 hour layover in Sydney airport with a baby and a toddler

You and the children need a visa. You could get a transit visa but you may find it quicker and easier to get an eVisitor visa which is free and which, as Irish passport holders you are eligible for.

Have a look at the immi.gov.au website.

I would definitely go into the city. The idea of a day room at a hotel so the kids can rest is excellent.

Even if you decide against a room, you will be bored witless at the airport for that length of time.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 13 hour layover in Sydney airport with a baby and a toddler

Day use of a hotel is a super idea, thank you both very much. I'll look into ones in the city and if feasible, that would be ideal.

I'll look into the eVisas and get that organised.

As regards actually getting the two year old to the city, would he require a car seat or could he sit on our knee on a bus or train? We have no preference for bus, train, taxi etc. We will have a car seat for the three month old.

Thank you both again for your help and advice

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,039 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 13 hour layover in Sydney airport with a baby and a toddler

Just so you are aware, great majority of the larger chain hotels all have Day Use rates, however, as it's at the discretion of each hotel, hardly anyone advertises it online - in fact never in Sydney. So what you may have to do, is to narrow down some choices in the city, and then contact them directly.

As a guide, you're looking at anywhere between 15-25% off the advertised rates on the hotels *own* website for that date.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 13 hour layover in Sydney airport with a baby and a toddler

Best to take the train, I think. You have plenty of time, and you have no specific destination.

If it is a nice sunny day, you could walk around from Circular Quay to the Botanic Gardens, and have a bit of a lay-down under a nice tree by the harbour. I'd suggest the 3-month old could easily nap on a blanket.

This would take in some of the nicer views of Sydney without being too stressful an outing, and there is coffee and snacks easily accessible.

However, if it is raining or cold that becomes less pleasant. Maybe check the weather a few days out, when you still have time for a plan B?

There are showers in the International Terminal - but you will need your own towel.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 13 hour layover in Sydney airport with a baby and a toddler

Perfect! Thanks again

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,067 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 13 hour layover in Sydney airport with a baby and a toddler

Niamh there's quite nice playground not too far a walk at Tempe. However will you have access to wheels for the kids

Some airlines will put them in the hold and that is the last you'll see of them

Suggestion for heading into the city are good. If you don't have your own wheels consider going into Westfield They will have some form of transport and you can go into Hyde park if you want some outside time

8. Re: 13 hour layover in Sydney airport with a baby and a toddler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2015, 05:16