We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peak season hotel availabilities

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
128 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Peak season hotel availabilities

I'm planning a 2 week trip with my wife, our first time in Australia, in the second half of December and I have a bit of a dilemma.

I will be working in Sydney from the beginning of November up until my wife joins me mid-Dec. I would like to wait until I'm there in November to get some local advice from my colleagues and plan the itinerary then (vague idea we'll do the east coast, up to Cairnes, and possibly a quick trip to uluru..). Our budget for hotels is reasonable, I guess we expect to pay US$100-200 per night. Our flights from Paris are already booked.

But my question is this: am I mad to wait until November before trying to arrange a peak-season itinerary? Should I forego the local knowledge I can get in November and start booking "blind" now?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,713 posts
1,660 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peak season hotel availabilities

What you have to remember is our school holidays start on the 22nd Dec (public) private schools break up much earlier. I would be booking now. You can always cancel a booking if you change your mind, most hotels have a 48 hours cancellation policy without charging a fee. Check before you book.

Summer Friday 22 December 2006 to Friday 26 January 2007

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peak season hotel availabilities

I'm usually a last minute holiday planner and i've always managed to find places to stay. December is not peak season up in Cairns as it is the beginning of the wet season. of course christmas/new year will always be busy. if you are doing your planning in November you should be fine. check out wotif.com.au for great last minute hotel deals (you can book up to 30 days before your intended date). if you left your booking until December you might be running into problems but early in November you should be fine. for Uluru I would definitely book in advance at that time of the year unless you got one of those short stay packages which include airfare and a night or two accommodation which you can sometimes get at the last minute through travel agents.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,890 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peak season hotel availabilities

Private school holidays commence from 8th December and students in years 10 and 12 are also finished by this time so many families will take an opportunity to travel pre the high Christmas rates that commence from Dec 22. i would think in many places you will be looking at closer to the 150 US than 100 (mostly due to the period in which you are travelling.) Booking ahead may actually get you slightly cheaper rates as it is a last minute market.

Victoria is on holidays from the same date but QLD starts on dec 16th so anytime after this north of Coffs harbour can be difficult to secure accom unless you take a minimum period (often 3 nights).

My other comment would be that if you only have two weeks i would consider driving to brisbane over a few days and flying from there to Cairns and then to Uluru.

Another thing to factor in are the prechrismas sporting events which many of the coastal towns hold eg The Vodaphone Australian Beach Volleyball is on in Port macquarie from 15th Dec. these types of things often catch out locals as they are not well advertised and you often don't know until you actually try to make a booking.

Without doubt i would book any airfares now....

As EM suggsts i would at least make some cancellable bookings now as you can cancel them if you decie the venue is not to your taste.

Also look back over the posts on this site which discuss venues and interests for the east coast

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
4. Re: Peak season hotel availabilities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 02:18