We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to visit

Wales
4 posts
Save Topic
Where to visit

Myself and my husband will be travelling to Australia on 26th Dec 06 to visit our 21 year old daughter who is on a work placement at Wollongong University, we would like to do some sightseeing while we are there and take our daughter with us, we would be looking to go on about 4th January 07 for a few days, Does anyone have any suggestions as to where would be a good place to visit? should we go to Ayers Rock or GBR, or go to somewhere like Brisbane?

We plan on doing the ones around the Sydney area.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to visit

So many places to choose from. Just a couple of tips on the weather and timing. Early Jan is peak holiday season in Australia, most resorts and accom will have the house full sign out unless you book early. The weather may play a big part in your decision. It is full on summer here and it will warm to hot everywhere. If you go north to the GBR, expect very hot and humid weather.....the humidity especially is tough if you don't handle it well. Inland to Uluru means summer desert weather. Very, very hot around 40C + and hundreds of flies. Perth is probably a bit too far away. Melbourne and Adelaide have similar weather, warm to hot days but they are followed by cool changes and a couple of cooler days before heating up again. Tasmania is the coolest state in Australia, so will have the mildest weather at that time of year. Beautiful place to drive around and not as crowded as other areas.

How about the Blue Mountains, then drive across to Canberra and then a bit of time on the southern NSW coast, some beautiful beach locations along that coast and warm to hot dry weather.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to visit

I agree with the above post.

Ayers Rock (Uluru) will be VERY hot with millions of flies.

Far North Queensland is very hot, humid, sticky and in my opinion unbearable in January (humidity around the 100%)

Another suggestion is The Sunshine Coast (1-2 hrs drive north of Brisbane). It is a beautiful spot with lots of lovely beaches, gorgeous hinterland, The Australia Zoo, lots of little specialty shops, cafes, restaurants, markets etc.

It will still be pretty warm in Southern Queensland in January (then again most of Australia can get pretty hot in Jan) but not nearly as humid as way up north.

Look up www.sunshinecoast.org

Good luck with your plans

Jo :)

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,785 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to visit

Jo I am up on the Sunshine Coast at the minute and it is cloudy, windy and about the same temp we would have in Melbourne....beautiful one day, perfect the next....hmmmmm. Also hear from up here that a heatwave is going to hit the southern states this week, glad we are missing that :-))

Sunshine Coast is nice and if you like beaches, it is a great venue. It does get humid as well but a bit more bearable as Jo has mentioned.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to visit

Will....I'd much prefer a bit of cloud and wind to a heatwave anyday! :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to visit

Hello Aimoire,

Remember it will be HOT HOT HOT at that time of year and depending on which part of australia you choose to visit, it could also be humid. I live on the sunshine coast and at Christmas time it is very humid but if you choose to go to Uluru ( Ayers Rock) it will be extremely hot but it is a dry heat there and in my opinion more tolerable.

Also 26th December, Boxing day is an Australia wide public holiday meaning hardly anything is open, not a good time to be visiting but anyway here are some suggestions.

You only have a few days here and Australia is HUGE, very different to travelling in the UK that's for sure. Since you will be near Sydney ot not too far from Sydney I would suggest starting in Sydney which is a must. The bridge, opera house and harbour are beautiful. Then maybe fly up to Brisbane and I would suggest then heading straight up to the sunshine coast. ( I am biased off course as I live here) but there is australia zoo which is great fun and then up to Noosa which is beautiful. World class restaurants, beaches, lovely and clean and friendly.

Also lots of lovely little b&b's on the sunshine coast hinterland which are quaint and the hinterland( countryside) is very different to other parts of the sunshine coast. Book early though Noosa books up fast over christmas and keep in mind you are arriving on a public holiday. If you want to go to Uluru it is a very long way from Woollongong, it is a 3 and a half hour flight from Sydney to Alice Springs and then another few hours of driving in the heat. If you were coming for longer I would definitely recommend it but not for such a short time. Hope this helps you a little bit please let me know if you do decide to come up to the sunshine coast I would be more than happy to help you out.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to visit

Great suggestions from Willnino and Joanne and also remember if you do go up to the Great Barrier Reef at Christmas time it will be stinger season meaning you have to swim in a full protection suit. Not a good look!! And not much fun either. I was up there a few years ago at Christmas time and it was so humid I just sat inside in the air conditioning and hardly ventured out. GBR is beautiful & the diving and snorkelling is world class but I think it's best to go up there in our Winter.

7. Re: Where to visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 19:17