We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ayres Rock and injections

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Ayres Rock and injections

I am a huge traveller but my phobia has stopped me from going to many places. This year in December I am travelling to Australia (Sydney) and I would like to visit Ayres Rock whilst there.

I understand that Ayres Rock is in the out back of Australia but compulsery injections will stop me.

I am wondering if anyone else has been and if they have had any injections to go there? Or even if someone knows if injections are needed?

Any help or advise will be greatly appretiated

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Bargara, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ayres Rock and injections

Just as a matter of curiosity, what injections do you think you'd need, and for what diseases, in Outback Australia?

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Canada
Level Contributor
334 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ayres Rock and injections

This should have all the info you need:

wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/destinationAustralia.aspx

While I'm posting this, can anyone give more specifics about the "far Northern Australia" where an immunization for Japanese encephalitis is suggested? Does that include Darwin and/or Cairns?

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ayres Rock and injections

In all honesty I do not know of any disease that could be of threat to me in any part of Australia.

My partner says if we are going into the outback I may need injections (which scares the life out of me) because of the wildlife, but we will only be going to Ayres Rock from Sydney and will most likely fly there.

If there are risks that are unknown to me I hope people who have been in the past would be able to make me aware of them so I can better prepare myself.

I have not had an injection since the age of eight therefore I am missing the basic Tetanus etc. It is a really embarrassing phobia and I am trying all in my power to combat this fear because I do believe that prevention is better than cure.

I am sorry I have not been able to answer your question as clearly as I would like but I am grateful to anyone who can offer advice.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ayres Rock and injections

is this a stitch up?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ayres Rock and injections

You don't need any injections to travel to Australia. Come and enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ayres Rock and injections

No Honestly, This is not a stitch up (unless my partner is freaking me out for no reason).

I can now focus on looking forward to my trip to Australia and not worry about injections.

Thank you everyone for all of the advice I really can’t wait to just get there now.

Thank you again

Jane

PS: If I can help anyone who is travelling to any destination shown on my map please do not hesitate but to contact I will gratefully help. J

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ayres Rock and injections

"You don't need any injection to travel to Australia" BUT you *should* most definitely get around to getting your tetanus booster because you never know when you might step on a rusty old nail! They don't hurt that much Jane! PROMISE!

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,069 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ayres Rock and injections

As Adelaide74 urged, please get up to date on your immunizations. Not only is your health at risk, but so is the health of any baby or young child you come in contact with who is not fully immunized yet. Trust us, it just doesn't hurt that much and after it's over I'm sure you will wonder why you dreaded it so.

I am curious, however, how you managed to go without any immunizations from the age of 8. Here in the U.S. there is a schedule of pediatric immunizations which are required and you must show proof that you had these immunizations before you can enter primary school and secondary school.

sydney
Level Contributor
659 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ayres Rock and injections

I love these posts. I always wonder how surprised the OPs must be when they get here and find out we actually have civilisation. Buildings, cars etc..

It seems everyone (particularly from England) thinks we are a third world country..

Janex, I think your partner is stiching you up. Wild animals? Yes, you will probably see some wild kangaroos but they are only wild in the sense that they are free, not in the scary, mean sense. You are very unlikley to get anywhere near them and I'm not aware of any disease you would get from them anyway. We do not have Rabies in this country or anything like that.

As others have mentioned you should have tentanus shots every 5 - 10 years even living in England. Although having said that I haven't had one since I was 5 so I probably should catch up too.

Please, just relax and enjoy your trip. I have no dobt that once you get here you will feel quite silly that you worried about this at all.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ayres Rock and injections

Thank you to all again for the advise and confidence you are giving me. With regards to tetanus boosters etc I am currently organising and arranging events to help me combat the phobia.

Schools in England don’t turn children away if they don’t have injections, as it is compulsory for children to go from the ages of 5 - 16. There is a series of injections that the majority of children have before they go to school (myself included) but there is much debate about it benefits and impact.

Sorry if I offended waltzn_matilda but I really did not know what to expect when going into the outback and I would rather be safe than sorry (hence trying to combat my fear). I am sure as looking forward to coming over now I have heard so much about it. My partner will be lucky to get there though after all of this embarrassment he has caused me though. lol

Get answers to your questions about Australian Capital...