We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney to Brisbane in a campervan over XMAS

cardiff
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sydney to Brisbane in a campervan over XMAS

Hi Folks,

Just a quick one if anyone has any past experience.

Me and my girlfriend are going to be in Australia for 3 weeks over xmas from the UK and we were thinking of travelling from Sydney to Byron Bay around the 26th of December stopping along the way for a few nights in time to reach Byron Bay on the 31st for the Falls music festival.

I was looking at hiring a small campervan for the week which I could use to sleep at in the festival and on route and then deliver back to Brisbane before flying home which kinda seemed to make sense.

However, after looking at some of the places where past posters and websites have suggested you could stay at doing this route in a campervan the vast majority so far have minimum nights you would have to spend there (most upwards of 5 days) which obviously doesn't suit as I was thinking short stops of a day or two and moving on.

I just wondered is this the norm for this time of year or are places that you could park and camp/sleep in campervan for just the night?

Or maybe would I just be better off renting a car and stopping at hotels on route?

Thanks for any info

James

3 replies to this topic
Queensland
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney to Brisbane in a campervan over XMAS

It's the busiest time of year, many places will have a minimum stay period due to demand. The roads will be busy with holiday traffic. The price of campervans may also be higher at this time if available. As you said a hire car may be better and there are plenty of motels/motor inns available along the way. Staying in towns away from the tourist areas may be an option. You are more than likely to find availability at motels on the outskirts or in surrounding towns. They are usually good value. This is a busy holiday period and you are doing the right thing by trying to organize now.

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney to Brisbane in a campervan over XMAS

Hi lacey, as noted on your previous post, accommodation of any kind is hard to come by at this time of year along the coast. An alternative may be to take the inland route(New England Hwy). Motels and camping sites are freely available with little notice required

cardiff
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney to Brisbane in a campervan over XMAS

Hmm, thanks Glenn.

That could be something worth considering. Hadn't really considered that as an option.

Reply to: Sydney to Brisbane in a campervan over XMAS
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Australian Capital...