We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Canberra - rental advice

Ireland
2 posts
Save Topic
Moving to Canberra - rental advice

Hi

I'll be coming to Canberra (from Ireland) in August for about a year, and I'm looking for some advice on renting. I've looked through the old threads here and found some very useful advice, and i've also looked at the recommended websites (like allhomes).

I'd hope to find somewhere in Belconnen or Inner North, within cycling distance of Bruce, where I'll be working.

My problem is that I'll be on very little money (i.e. just more than being a student), and i wont have a rental history reference as such. i would be able to provide character references, evidence of funds in the bank etc.

I'm a little worried, as i understand that the rental market in Canberra is tough. Realistically, what does this mean? Is everything snapped up the day it is advertised? Are references etc absolutely necessary?

And in terms of less-formal renting, i.e. student house shares etc, does anybody know what this market is like, is it equally busy?

Thanks for any advice

Ciara

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,028 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Canberra - rental advice

Have a look at the Canberra Times "to rent pages at

canberra.yourguide.com.au/searchclas.asp…

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,028 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Canberra - rental advice

PS You might also want to try posting on this site

canberraexchange.com.au/classifieds/Canberra…

Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Canberra - rental advice

Thanks for the links, bigw, I'll have a look at them now.

4. Re: Moving to Canberra - rental advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 18:19
Get answers to your questions about Canberra