We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good quality apartments in Canberra

Sydney
Level Contributor
361 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Good quality apartments in Canberra

My chance to use the local forum for advice !!

We're stopping off in Canberra for a couple of nights on the way to skiing and I thought we'd try somewhere else other than the Hyatt where we've stayed about 8 years running. Last year for the first time we noticed the Hyatt getting tatty in the rooms and the service (check-in, bag delivery etc) glacially slow. Admittedly it was glacial outside too. We like the ambience of the place, though.

There are a couple of reviews on the site about the Griffin Apartments which look pretty good. Any other recommendations for high-quality hotels or apartments relatively close to the city centre (we're 2 adults and 3 kids) ? Also, anyone taken a look at the Griffin Apartments ?

Thanks.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
269 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Good quality apartments in Canberra

Hi OTP, work takes me to canberra all too often (I hate the cold) and agree with your comments on the Hyatt, well overdue for a refurb. If I am there for more than a couple of days I prefer to stay at Waldorf Apartments which are almost opposite the main shopping mall and a very short walk to civic restaurants. The apartments are modern and a reasonable size, the one + study are great for the two of us but assume that you are looking for a three bedroom. The facilities are excellent and the service more slick and professional than warm and fuzzy. Other collegues like the Bentley Suites, they are within the parlimentary triangle and look very nice. Griffin if I recall is in Kingston, not a bad location and still close to everything but as you may be aware as a regular visitor it's a drive into civic.

Sydney
Level Contributor
361 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good quality apartments in Canberra

Thanks for these very useful pointers, ionamelb. I was trying to think of the other decent apartments I'd heard of.... it was the Bentley that you mentioned. I'll look at the Waldorf too, but we typically go for two bedroom or three if we can get them.

What are your favourite restaurants there ?

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
269 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Good quality apartments in Canberra

Really like the Thai on Civic, it's the only one adjacent to the square in the centre to the right if you are walking up from where the Waldorf is, the greek a couple of doors down from the Thai is also good. The restaurant at the Waldorf is not bad at all and the restaurant at the Hyatt is still good for fine dining. In general I can't say that we have ever found any restaurant I would consider outstanding in Canberra, I think we are a bit spoilt for choice in Melb and Syd, well Melbourne anyway! Great coffee in the arcade off the main square, the place where they play chess, it's hard to miss. Sorry I am not much help with the actual names today, it could be that I don't much personally enjoy canberra these days or it could be a case of AAADD (Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder) starting to kick in.

Sydney
Level Contributor
361 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good quality apartments in Canberra

Again, thanks for the advice. We'll definitely try some of these restaurants. Do you recall the name of the restaurant near the lake in the centre (I think it may be near the Art Gallery) that gets a good write up. Is it Juniperberry or is that actually in the gallery ?

Sydney
Level Contributor
361 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good quality apartments in Canberra

oh... and my wife believes that I suffer from AAADD too. Ale Activated Attention Deficit Disorder.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
269 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Good quality apartments in Canberra

Sorry that name does not ring any bells but feel sure it's not the name of the one at the gallery. The Thai on civic has come back to me, it's Three Mothers. I asked my collegue about bentley and they do have 3 bedroom, Waldorf we think only has 1 & 2 but it is in a great location, you can walk to so many things. Like most I find the place a nightmare to drive around especially at night. Hope you have some snow for the ski trip, I hear they have had very little for the opening of the season this weekend. My daughter and husband bought a condo at Falls a few years ago but I hate the cold so much I have never been up to see it.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,327 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good quality apartments in Canberra

hi there OTP,

what about the kingston terrace/kingston court apartments?

check out this site http://www.kingstonterrace.com.au/

the pool was small though.....not an issue in winter in canberra, right? lol

june

Get answers to your questions about Canberra