We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canberra Trip Report (April/May 2009)

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,972 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Canberra Trip Report (April/May 2009)

At long last, I am posting the trip report from my 2-week Australian vacation earlier this year. I started in Sydney and continued on to Canberra, Melbourne, Cairns, and Brisbane. Below is the Canberra section of my trip. Note that any unfamiliar references probably refer to the San Francisco Bay Area, which is where I live. Enjoy!

---

Thursday, April 30

With a 6:00 wake-up call and a quick dash to Central Station, I caught the 6:58 train to Canberra. Friends A and B picked me up at the train station and whisked me off to a café in Monuka for a bite to eat. Afterward, they took me to Telstra Tower to see the Canberra skyline. Considering the size of the city, I was quite impressed.

From there, we visited the National Museum of Australia for a quick look-see and then went to the Parliament House and discussed politics (amongst ourselves, not with the legislators). We then made a brief stop at the National Carillon and heard the bell sound. Next stop was City Walk in Civic, where we took inappropriate photos of sheep statues and had dessert at Koko Black.

Friend C dropped us off at Friend B's home, and after putting my things away and visiting IGA, we headed back to Civic to meet Husband B, Friend C, and Husband C for dinner at a Sri Lankan restaurant named Banana Leaf. We went to Koko Black for a second time, then made a later evening arrival back home.

Friday, May 1

After a good night's rest, I experimented with Australian breakfast as well as Vegemite, which if you haven't heard, isn't very good. Friend B and I were picked up by Friend C, and we went across town (to the “dark side”) to Cockington Green Gardens. Cockington Green is a uniquely tacky collection of models of buildings, trains, historic monuments, etc. with a special focus on the UK. I wouldn't encourage a visit Canberra just to see it, but it was worth a gander because I usually do a good job of avoiding tourist traps.

Once we gathered ourselves at Cafe Injoy, the three of us went to the National Film and Sound Archive to explore some intriguing and even slightly inappropriate exhibits of music videos, commercials, etc. “Bicentennial Rap,” for example, was so cheesy it was good! Afterward, we visited the stately Australian War Memorial for more photos and also saw Husband B's grandfather's name on the wall of soldiers who died in war.

Friend C dropped us off at home once again, and then Friend B and I went up the hillside near there and hunted kangaroos. (Actually, we just took photos of them.) The five of us got together later that night and had take-out Turkish for dinner. I showed them some photos and before we knew it it was too late for a game of Scrabble. Darn! Better luck next time.

Saturday, May 2

Friend B and Husband B saw me off at the airport far too early this morning, and after a pleasant flight on Virgin Blue departing at 6:30, I arrived at the hotel in Melbourne by 8:45.

---

Continued in the Melbourne forum.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,387 posts
1,543 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canberra Trip Report (April/May 2009)

excellent trip report on Canberra. I'm glad you enjoyed our Capital and all its wonderful museums.

What you didn't like Vegemite ??

cheers,

EM ☺

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,519 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canberra Trip Report (April/May 2009)

Hi Davdaven

you certainly got around Canberra - great report. I'm off to Melbourne now !!

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,972 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canberra Trip Report (April/May 2009)

EM - Shocking development, isn't it? I think I'll stick with peanut butter, thank you very much. By the way, thanks for all your help when I was planning my trip! :)

Dougo - Glad you enjoyed reading my reports. Enjoy your trip!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,519 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canberra Trip Report (April/May 2009)

I meant that I was off to read about your Melbourne trip - lol

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,972 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canberra Trip Report (April/May 2009)

Oops, haha! Well, hopefully you still want to visit Melbourne after you're done reading it. ;)

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
656 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canberra Trip Report (April/May 2009)

davdaven - thanks for that. Wow! you managed to fit in quite a bit in a fairly short timeframe.

What did you think of Cafe Injoy? It won a few awards several years ago and is still very popular on weekends. I've never eaten there, just dropped in for a milkshake or a coffee occasionally when I'm in the Ginninderra Village area.

Did you see the 1297 copy of Magna Carta at Parliament House? Worth the visit alone in my view just for the wow factor.

....I'm shocked about your poor opinion of Vegemite ;)

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canberra Trip Report (April/May 2009)

Hi David. Your time for the National Museum was too short. One of the best we have been to. And Vegemite? Yummie!! And if you ever should come to Holland, try our peanut butter, not butter, more like Peanutcheese. Over to Melbourne.

Tet

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,972 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canberra Trip Report (April/May 2009)

ART - You know, I don't remember if I saw the Magna Carta while I was there. I'll have to ask my friends if we looked at it! (Gosh, bad memory...)

I found Cafe Injoy to be good, and a good place to stop since we were nearby. Not sure if it warrants a drive all the way across town, but I was satisfied with the food/drink. It definitely was busy!

Tet - Part of the National Museum was closed for some reason, if I remember correctly, so we didn't get to see all of it.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,352 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canberra Trip Report (April/May 2009)

Thanks for the trip report!

You weren't persuaded to try Vegemite in similar quantity to other spreads were you? The bread/butter/Vegemite ratio has to be just right otherwise it's quite unpleasant.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,972 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canberra Trip Report (April/May 2009)

The Vegemite experience definitely included bread and butter, but I'm not sure of the ratio. I'm sure there's an art to it. But I'm pretty happy not finding out again anytime soon. :)

Get answers to your questions about Canberra