We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget Place to Stay near Archives

ny
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Budget Place to Stay near Archives

Hi,

I will be in Canberra in mid-February, doing research at the National Archives. I am looking for the best place to stay under 120/night for my husband and I. We will not have a car, but are willing to walk pretty far and take public transportation.

Thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
Canberra
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,948 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget Place to Stay near Archives

Hi. Can I assume you'll be doing research at their premises in Queen Victoria Terrace, Parkes? The main storage is elsewhere, I don't know if they ever send researchers there. Would you prefer a hotel room with places to eat nearby or self-contained accommodation?

Broadly the options are the city centre (also known as Civic) or the Kingston/Manuka area. Both areas to me fall into that distance that would be a nice walk once but probably not on a regular basis in the hottest part of the year. Here's some links to the local bus service. On weekdays I think the new Red Rapid looks like your best bet if coming from the city and would be useful for Kingston too. The Archives are very close to Stop G.

Home Page http://www.action.act.gov.au/default.html

Red Rapid …act.gov.au/Routes_101001/…200_combined.pdf

Parliamentary Zone …act.gov.au/Parliamentary_Zone_Brochure.pdf

Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Australia
Canberra
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
447 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget Place to Stay near Archives

hmmm - I'd be surprised if you can get anything for less than $120 / night near the Archives as the area around the Parl Triangle is the most expensive in Canberra. The Brassey and the Kurrajong are the cheapest within walking distance and you would be looking at $150/night roughly. The Forrest Hotel is pretty close and cheap. Have a look at wotif to compare rates. It depends on when you want to stay - once parliament starts back the prices will go up.

Barton, Kingston, Forrest, Griffith, Narrabundah, Symonston are reasonably close. Otherwise look at the city (Civic)

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Kurrajong Canberra
Hotel Kurrajong Canberra
3,291 Reviews
Canberra, Australia
Brassey Hotel
Brassey Hotel
739 Reviews
Canberra, Australia
Forrest Hotel And Apartments
Forrest Hotel And...
1,268 Reviews
Canberra, Australia
Canberra
Canberra
ny
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget Place to Stay near Archives

Thank you both for your help. I am totally fine with commuting to save money, and it is helpful to get a sense of which areas are most conveniently connected via public transport to the Queen Victoria Terrace location. As I am staying for a week, I would love to find a self-contained apartment.

Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Australia
ny
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget Place to Stay near Archives

Ended up booking Olims for 119...it seemed the cheapest available on the 2/red rapid bus line.

ny
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget Place to Stay near Archives

Ended up booking Olims for 119...it seemed the cheapest available on the 2/red rapid bus line.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
791 posts
707 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget Place to Stay near Archives

Good luck with your research. I hope you've confirmed that the records are a) in Canberra and b) have already been access examined.

Be sure to have a look at the displays in the galleries - the travelling exhibition at present is "Quest", about Antarctic exploration & has some interesting stuff on display.

Mentioned in this post
Canberra
Canberra
7. Re: Budget Place to Stay near Archives

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2012, 11:22