We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Sydney International Airport to Canberra

Which Canberra hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
291 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting from Sydney International Airport to Canberra

Hi folks,

Somewhat elderly parents are going to Canberra from overseas early January, and the flight gets into Sydney around 8.00pm which is just late enough to miss any connecting flights to Canberra or even the Murrays / Greyhound coaches.

Would you have any ideas on how they could get to Canberra that night without picking up a rental car? Or will they have to nab a hotel?

Thank you

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Sydney International Airport to Canberra

I agree they may have a problem as the last Virgin flight seems to leave about 8.30pm and Qantas about 9.15pm.

I doubt there are any trains or buses headed that way that time of night too, especially since they'd have to get to the CBD to catch either.

Your parents may have to stay at a hotel nearby and fly to Canberra the next morning. Or stay in the City and go by bus/train the next day. I can't recall now whether the train service still goes to Canberra, I know is was discontinued for a while.

Cheerz Wabster.

Edited: 28 July 2011, 22:14
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Sydney International Airport to Canberra

yes, fly, bus (murrays/greyhound) or train (countrylink 7am. 12pm and sometimes 6pm) the next day may be the safest bet

www.murrays.com.au/ExpressTimetable.aspx…

countrylink.info/timetables/southern/sydney_…

Edited: 28 July 2011, 22:36
Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
308 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Sydney International Airport to Canberra

If they arrive from overseas at 8pm, they still have to get through Immigration and Customs. If you are lucky, this can be very short, but if you are unlucky it can take quite a while. I have had times ranging from 10 minutes to over an hour.

That means they would be ready to leave at 8.30pm at the absolute best. Allowing 3 hours to drive to Canberra has them arriving here at 11.30pm at the earliest. Probably not the best time to be driving after a long international flight, so maybe staying overnight would be the best option. There are a number of hotels quite close to the airport.

Having said that, it is dual-lane all the way, plus you exit the airport, travel about 1km or so, then turn right onto the freeway which takes you all the way to Canberra, so it is not a difficult drive. I usually use Avis because they don't charge you a relocation fee to pick up a hire car in Sydney airport and hand it back in Canberra.

Canberra
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
425 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Sydney International Airport to Canberra

I am another who strongly suggests that they stay overnight and leave in the morning. then they can have their choice of how to get to Canberra and not have the worry about being dazed off an international flight

Australia
Level Contributor
291 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Sydney International Airport to Canberra

Thanks everyone, I agree and I shall book an airport hotel for them. Mucho gracias!

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Sydney International Airport to Canberra

If they can check their bags all the way through, they'd be able to make that 9:10 Qantas flight.

The best way to get to Canberra is actually by bus - they run express at least every hour and cost ~$30. Buses go from Central station or the International Terminal. Companies are Murrays and Greyhound.

The train is only for people needing to get to/from small towns along the way - not designed for end to end travel.

Flying is great, though not worth the $100 + cabs IMO as you only really save 1.5hrs.

Edited: 07 August 2011, 02:33
Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,764 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Sydney International Airport to Canberra

You cannot check your bags right through from an International flight to a domestic flight. You have to collect them on International Arrivals to take them through Customs and Quarantine.

You then have to recheck them, if flying with Qantas Domestic at the transit checkin just before you board the Qantas seemless transfer bus to the domestic terminal. I always allow at least 2 hours.

Tehran, Iran
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from Sydney International Airport to Canberra

Hi All,

My flight will arrive Sydney on 5 July at 6:05 AM. My final destination is Canberra. According to the above comments, the most appropriate method to get from Sydney to Canberra is by bus (Murrays and Greyhound companies). I have checked the website of Murrays company and found that there are busses available hourly from 7AM to 7PM every day. I am eager to book a bus, but I don’t know whether or not my international flight will arrive at Sydney on time. As you know the international flights are usually subject to delay, sometimes long delay. Hence, I there is a risk that I may miss the bus if I book a bus by now.

On the other hand, a safer method is to wait until I arrive at Sydney airport and then buying a ticket at that time. However, I am afraid that there may be no seat available in any bus when I will arrive at Sydney airport on 5 July. I don’t mind to stay some hours in the Sydney airport to catch a bus to Canberra, but I am afraid that all busses may be full on 5 July and I may be forced to stay one night in Sydney to be able to get a bus on the next day (I don’t like to stay one night there).

Considering the above issues, what do you suggest me? Does anyone know how much is my chance to obtain a seat in a bus when I will arrive at Sydney airport?

As it is my first flight to Australia, any comment would be highly appreciated :-)

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from Sydney International Airport to Canberra

The best way to get from Sydney to Canberra is to fly. The previous question was about an arrival after the last local flight, and the basic advice was to wait until the next day and catch a flight in the morning. In your case, you shouldn't have any difficulty getting a flight as you arrive early in the morning anyway.

There's lots of info on internal air travel on this page: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c124168/Austr…

Tehran, Iran
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from Sydney International Airport to Canberra

Thanks for your advice Luigi.

I prefer going by bus over going by plane. This is because I have a large suitcase weighing around 30Kgr and as you know, local flights only carry a suitcase which weighs less than 23Kgr for free. Hence, the airlines will charge me more if I carry my heavy suitcase (do you know how much is the extra charge? I could not find the link). On the other hand, busses accept to carry the baggage weighing up to 32Kgr for free!

Do you have any idea that will I be able to catch a bus if I arrive at Sydney early in the morning?

Thanks for your time :-)