We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cherry Farms Close to Canberra

Which Canberra hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
806 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Cherry Farms Close to Canberra

Hi all,

I know the cherry season is (nearly, if not already) over, but does anyone have any recommendations of cherry farms that you have visited which are close to Canberra and offer a good cherry-picking experience?

I, of course, am aware that Young is the cherry capital, but have heard that there is a cherry farm in Royalla which was open late last year to the public. I believe it's called 'Kembla' (or something along the lines of that name) - Does anyone know the address or are familiar with other cherry farms close to Canberra as well, which might be worth visiting during the 2012 cherry season?

Thanks for your help!

Edited: 04 January 2012, 05:26
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,694 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cherry Farms Close to Canberra

I'm sorry, I don't know of any cherry orchards around here and I haven't heard of the one at Royalla.

I did some googling and it turns out this apple orchard between Canberra and Yass also has cherries.

http://www.loriendale.com.au/

Also close enough for a day trip is the Batlow/Tumut region, known for apples but apparently there are cherry orchards there too.

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cherry Farms Close to Canberra

Up here in Stanley in NE Victoria, we're right at the tail end of cherry season - and we're usually a bit behind other regions because of our altitude (800m above sea level). To be honest, I think that you may have missed the PYO season - it seems to be mainly a pre-Christmas thing, especially in lower areas.

But it's definitely worth contacting Loriendale as per MacKnee's recommendation above, they may still have some on.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,032 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cherry Farms Close to Canberra

There is a cherry farm around Williamsdale (south of Canberra) that always has cherries for sale out on the road but I don't think they are the kind of operation that would have a website or anything. You can take a drive out along the road and check but I'll try & remember to look next time I go that way to see if I can get some more details for you :)

royalla
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Cherry Farms Close to Canberra

There is definitly a cherry farm in Royalla- its called Kembla Cherry Farm and is open to the public beginning from around the 10th Dec till Xmas , its on Shearer Drive. :)

Canberra
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Cherry Farms Close to Canberra

185 Shearer Dr, Royalla Kembla NSW

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,694 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cherry Farms Close to Canberra

Well, now we have an address, so I googled. Anyone read Chinese? No, I'm serious, two of the results on the first page are in Chinese. And I'm still none the wiser about basic information like opening hours, or if indeed they are still open after Christmas. We await the next mysterious installment :-)

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,694 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cherry Farms Close to Canberra

I still have nothing of use to prospective visitors (a shame because we certainly get regular queries from Asian tourists wanting to visit farms and buy fresh produce and have a pick-your-own experience) but I did find an interesting article about what I believe is the orchard in question and the owner's remediation of the soil, it's actually quite interesting (but then I like watching Landline).

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cherry Farms Close to Canberra

Does anyone have any news as to whether Kembla Cherry Farms is open this year during the cherry season?

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,694 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cherry Farms Close to Canberra

Well, if the one post wonders at #4 and #5 ever come back we might find out. I'm sorry, I did another google search and while it seems this place exists they don't have much of an online presence which makes me wonder if they really do encourage visitors? And the OP, who I note gives Canberra as their location, never came back to let us know if they tracked down any info.

Canberra
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
428 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cherry Farms Close to Canberra

well - if really interested I suppose you could PM the OP ...