We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a Mall or restaurant/pub strip or area?

Which Canberra hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
543 posts
190 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a Mall or restaurant/pub strip or area?

We are heading to Canberra for a week for our daughter to play in the state team. That will only take a couple of hours each day so we would like to stay in the CBD but somewhere that is lively and we can walk to restaurants and bars etc. Does this sort of thing exist? We are open to any areas really as we will have a hire car to get to the games.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a Mall or restaurant/pub strip or area?

lots of the suburbs have good restaurant strips.

Dickson, Manuka, Kingston are a few near the city centre.

of course the city centre is the biggest and includes a mall.

other mall areas include Belconnen and Woden but they are out of the centre away and imo not very attractive.

Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
310 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a Mall or restaurant/pub strip or area?

Canberra is different from most cities in that it has several "town centres", rather than a large CBD like most places do. That means there isn't as much in the City centre as you might expect for a population of 350,000. Nevertheless, there is still quite a few restaurants and bars in the area.

I guess the "restaurant strip" area of the City would be Bunda Street around the Canberra Centre and into Garema Place. There is quite a few popular restaurants in that area, and several bars scattered around. Many consider the best bar in town to be Wig and Pen, which is a couple of blocks from there, but there are a few other options. If you let us know the kind of thing you are looking for, we could make some suggestions.

The other area you might consider is Kingston / Manuka. I think it is more what you would be looking for, especially Manuka. It is a very popular nightlife area.

Canberra
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
428 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a Mall or restaurant/pub strip or area?

have a look at the North Quarter area of Canberra Centre in the CBD www.canberracentre.com.au/Restaurants-List - this is the Bunda Street area Ddkent mentioned. 1 block from there is Braddon and Lonsdale St has become the new hip part of town, also with good restaurants and new boutiques.

Kingston and Manuka are on the south side of the lake, and I quite like Kingston. The suburb is now expanding down to the waterfront and there a few good places opening up in the bottom of the new apartment blocks.

The other thought are the new cafes at the Arboretum …act.gov.au/cafe-and-restaurant and at Mt Stromlo http://scopemountstromlo.com.au/cafe.php - you'd get views from either, and a nice lunch.

Edited: 24 May 2013, 12:47
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,808 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a Mall or restaurant/pub strip or area?

what sport? venue? this may help with suggestions.

I go to Canberra every June for a Hockey tournament and find that Dickson has some great options for the team, parents etc.

Edited: 24 May 2013, 13:33
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
543 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a Mall or restaurant/pub strip or area?

We're going over for hockey also but don't mind travelling a bit to stay somewhere good. I would just like to be able to wander from the hotel to get a coffee, breakfast, go to dinner or a pub etc.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,733 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a Mall or restaurant/pub strip or area?

Further to thmoore's question, is there *a* venue or different games in different locations? Knowing might just prompt some thoughts that we might not otherwise have answering the question in a general sense.

The CBD and Kingston/Manuka, as suggested, should meet your needs and both are central so reasonably convenient to anywhere. With Kingston/Manuka the accommodation is around Kingston or a little further away. In fact I'm trying to think if there's a hotel in the immediate vicinity. Oh, there's the newish East Hotel nearby, but otherwise I think it's mostly serviced apartments. Did you specifically want a hotel? There are hotels in the next suburb. There's maybe a bit more dining in Manuka, or does it just feel that way because Kingston overall is larger and the eateries are interspersed with other shops? it's all within walking distance but through some quiet areas, suburban streets and offices and parks, so I personally would take the car at night around that area. I'm not as familiar with Dickson. It is the home of Canberra's Chinatown though it's not limited to Chinese cuisine.

D'oh, I just thought, isn't there a hockey centre in Lyneham? Perhaps that's the venue? Dickson is very close, probably walking distance? CBD is convenient, just a short drive. Kingston/Manuka is not far but you could encounter bottlenecks crossing the lake if needing to travel during peak hour (I know, I know, the joke is that in Canberra it's peak minute, but still..)

Canberra
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there a Mall or restaurant/pub strip or area?

Dickson is definitely closer to the hockey centre and offers cafes, restaurants and pubs within easy walk from the hotel at the Tradies Club. You will be able to get breakfast there 7 days a week. The focus of the restaurant scene is Asian cuisine but there are also other options such as Italian and stsndard western cafes.

The CBD is only 5-10 minutes down Notthbourne Avenue. You will find a lot more hotel and dining options here. Lonsdale St has a lot of trendy Melbourne-style cafes and restaurants, and the area around Bunda St also has a good range of eateries.

Kingston / Manuka are great for eating and drinking, but a bit isolated for anything else (particularly if you don't have a car).

My recommendation would be the CBD. It's an easy commute to the hockey centre and central for everything else. You will have plenty of eating and drinking options, at all hours and all price-points. You can also shop till you drop, if this is of interest. Plus there are cinemas, parks etc and a bus interchange for travel to all parts of Canberra. Maybe head over to Kingston or Manuka for a meal one night and see how this compares with the CBD your next trip (hockey will no doubt bring you back again!)

Canberra
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there a Mall or restaurant/pub strip or area?

I suggest the Novotel on Northborne (http://novotelcanberra.com.au/) and then you can take a very easy walk over to the North Quarter of the Canberra Centre. For casual and quick dinner: Sammys Kitchen then dessert at Koko Black never disappoints. Breakfast is good at Gus' Cafe then if you are heading to Lyneham for hockey you just head back up Northborne Ave (that traffic lights make a bit of a gauntlet in peak hours)

9. Re: Is there a Mall or restaurant/pub strip or area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2014, 07:17