We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ANZAC Day 2015 - accommodation suggestions with kids

Sydney
Level Contributor
586 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
ANZAC Day 2015 - accommodation suggestions with kids

Hi,

Just attended our local ANZAC Day dawn service and now thinking about the centenary next year.

We have decided to spend it in Canberra and plan on staying for a couple of days to do other activities at the War Memorial etc.

Could you please suggest a couple of hotels/apartments that would be relatively close for the dawn service. I guess we would either walk or catch one of the shuttle buses.

Our kids are 13 and 14 so not young but would rather not spend ages getting to the sight for the early morning service (ie 30 mins would be okay).

Any other suggestions re breakfasts etc afterwards would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks O.W.B.

Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
327 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ANZAC Day 2015 - accommodation suggestions with kids

Will you have transport? If so, you could easily travel from somewhere like Manuka or Kingston to the dawn service in 15 minutes, or 5 minutes from the City or Braddon hotels. All of them are too far to walk, though.

If you really want to stay within walking distance of the War Memorial then I think your only option is the Mercure: http://www.mercurecanberra.com.au. It is only a few hundred metres away.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,088 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ANZAC Day 2015 - accommodation suggestions with kids

Agree with above - it's not like anything in Canberra is very far. I would look at maybe Waldorf Apartments in the city and they will most likely have public transport running as carparking can be a pain. Just spent 1/2 an hour driving around looking for a park near Questacon/National Gallery the other day......... Canberra certainly needs more carparks at major attraction sites.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ANZAC Day 2015 - accommodation suggestions with kids

We stayed at Oxley Court Serviced Apartments on our last trip. Nothing Fabulous, but clean, reasonably cheap and convenient. Not walking distance to the War Memorial but a short drive. They have two bedroom apartments which might suit your family.

Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
327 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ANZAC Day 2015 - accommodation suggestions with kids

Yesterday's dawn service attracted 36,000 people. I imagine next year's will be even bigger with the 100 year anniversary of the Anzac landing.

I definitely wouldn't try and park at the War Memorial, or probably even in the nearby suburbs. Instead, just park at Russell Offices and Majura Park. The details for this year's service are here:

www.awm.gov.au/commemoration/anzac/dawn/

Keep an eye on the War Memorial website in case they change arrangements for next year.

Sydney
Level Contributor
586 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ANZAC Day 2015 - accommodation suggestions with kids

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I was thinking that most likely we will use public transport or shuttles for the dawn service. I will look at all the suggestions and let you know our decision.

Many thanks - O.W.B.

Queanbeyan
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ANZAC Day 2015 - accommodation suggestions with kids

Just a suggestion-- Queanbeyan is a NSW city just over the border adjacent to the ACT. It has many great value motels. A lot of savvy interstate visitors stay in this city during the annual Floriade in Canberra. Driving time from Queanbeyan Hotels to War Memorial is about 18 minutes. You might like to check with the Queanbeyan Visitor Information Centre to confirm what arrangements they may have in place. Also check with Deane's Coachlines in Queanbeyan which services the two cities(probably closer to the date) to see if they plan to provide special services between Queanbeyan and the War Memorial.

7. Re: ANZAC Day 2015 - accommodation suggestions with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Canberra