We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way from Jollimont Centre to Floriade?

Which Canberra hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
Level Contributor
168 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best way from Jollimont Centre to Floriade?

Hello!

I am unable to find any organized tour from Sydney which runs on a Thursday, so will need to find my own way to Floriade.

I have only 1 free day, so will be travelling alone from Sydney on 7am Murray's coach, arriving at Jollimont Centre around 10.30am.

What is the best way to get from the bus station to Floriade & back to the bus station to catch the 5pm coach?

-The Floriade website indicates a free shuttle bus that runs every 45 min. Is there a timetable? I don't want to be spending precious time just waiting, if I have just missed one.

-Public bus: what is the most convenient route & number, with shortest walking distances?

Thanks.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way from Jollimont Centre to Floriade?

Well, I must say that is rather useless of the website to say there's a shuttle every 45 minutes but not say WHEN. 45 minutes is not that frequent. (I note the links to the stops are 2013 so maybe they will update the info closer to the time?) It's about a 20 minute walk from the Jolimont Centre to Floriade. I would be inclined to walk. For public transport click on the 'ACTION Bus' link.

Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
309 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way from Jollimont Centre to Floriade?

I agree with MacKnee. I would walk. It isn't very far.

singapore
Level Contributor
168 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way from Jollimont Centre to Floriade?

OK, will consider walking.

ACTON link is rather confusing.

Should I decide to take ACTON bus from Jollimont Centre , where should I get on & which is the nearest bus stop to alight for the Floriade entrance?

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way from Jollimont Centre to Floriade?

I find it quite difficult to use too. How far did you get? From memory some of the applicable routes are express routes which should be the most frequent so they are probably your best bet, and if you click on the links for the maps they show you where the stops are. But first, are you saying a 20 minute walk (that's a generous estimate), are you saying that is too far for you?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
431 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way from Jollimont Centre to Floriade?

It's less than 2 km, so 20 mins walking is pretty comfortable. No hills, plus foot paths, pedestrian bridges all the way. There is no timetable for the shuttle because timings are approximate. It starts at 9am and will run around every 45 mins depending upon how many people are using it at any particularly time, ie more people getting on and off will slow it down, so will waiting around for passengers if noone's getting on. A taxi should cost around $12 one way, probably a bit less. Any of the public buses listed on the Floriade website will leave from within 100-200 m of each other and all stop at the same bus stop outside Floriade, so there is no significant difference between one and the next. You don't have to worry too much about "wasting valuable time" public buses (from Civic terminus) and the shuttle (Sydney building) leave from less than 500 m from where your bus from Sydney will arrive, Floriade is about 10 mins drive bus or taxi , if you arrive at 1030 and leave at 5, you'll have about 4 1/2 hours at Floriade, that's more than enough time. Personally I'd be looking for something else to do nearby. If you walk you'll go right past the doors of the Canberra Museum and Gallery (CMAG) which could have something worthwhile on, or the ACT Craft Space gallery upstairs from CMAG which also often has some interesting exhibitions. The walk will also take you past a few good restaurants and cafes if you wished to grab a good coffee or lunch (for convenience try Tosolini's for either or if walking through the centre of the shopping precinct Bannana Leaf is another good lunch option) The food choices at Floriade will be limited. If you haven't been to Canberra before, then Floriade (in Commonwealth Park) is conveniently located on the lake loop, 3.5 km that covers many of the major tourist attractions including the National and Portrait Galleries, the High Court, Carillion, National Library and Questacon so it would be easy and convenient to see a little more than just flowers.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
431 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way from Jollimont Centre to Floriade?

...5 1/2 HOURS...! 1030-1700 will give you approx 5 1/2 hrs at Floriade leaving a comfortable 30 mins each end to get between the Jolimont Centre and Commonwealth Park. More than enough tulip time.

singapore
Level Contributor
168 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way from Jollimont Centre to Floriade?

Thank you , everyone.

You have described a nice walk, so I'll do it!

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way from Jollimont Centre to Floriade?

There's a pedestrian bridge from the city straight into Commonwealth Park, where Floriade is held. Look for Civic Pool on a map - that's where you'll find the start of the walkway.

9. Re: Best way from Jollimont Centre to Floriade?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2015, 05:15