We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only 6pm-10am in Canberra: What must see and do?

Which Canberra hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bandung, Indonesia
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Only 6pm-10am in Canberra: What must see and do?

We will be in Canberra just for 1 night at Novotel on the way back from Jindabyne to Sydney. Seems that we will come by dark and should leave in the morning.

We consider Woolley St for our late night food shopping and Lake Burley Griffin, Anzac Parade, Mount Ainslie Lookout just for taking pictures on the next day after we check out.

Looks in a hurry because we should attend a dinner with some "long time not see" friends at Sydney, need to have some rest before it. Anybody could suggest better advice?

Thank you in advance

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
430 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Only 6pm-10am in Canberra: What must see and do?

So you don't want a late night because you "need some rest" and you're leaving at 10 am the next day? Hmm, it kinda restricts your options, most of the National institutions; War Memorial, National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery, National Museum dont open til 10 so they're out. If photos are a priority and you're staying at the Novotel, then driving up to Mt Ainslie is a good option, you could do it at night for the lights of the city and Parliament and then do it again the next morning for the blanket of colours provided by the trees below you, the Lake in the foreground and mountains as a backdop, mean that some beautiful shots can be had. If you get a crisp clear morning go for a drive around the lake and you can at least check out the National Institutions, maybe drive up and down ANZAC Parade to the War Memorial for the individual memorials lining both sides of the Avenue. If you don't have breakfast at the hotel then any of the restaurants on Bunda St, 2 blocks towards the City Centre are good choices, try the highly acclaimed Cream or, the cosmopolitan pioneer of outdoor dining in Canberra, Gus's. Even if its cold both have outdoor tables and chairs with braziers and heaters to keep you toasty while you watch the world pass by. If you want to take it pretty easy the night before, then after dinner with your friends and the drive up Mt Ainslie, drop the car back at the hotel and wander into Garema Place for cocktails and jazz at the Hippo Bar or up the road to Braddon for something similar at Knightsbridge. Stay away from the 'L' at night diagonally across from the Novotel towards the Lake. Nightclubs and fast food outlets, It becomes the stomping ground of drunken loutish boys and girls, looking for fights and somewhere semi private to vomit.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
430 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Only 6pm-10am in Canberra: What must see and do?

Actually if you're having dinner in Wooley St in Dickson and you like the idea of good music, a comfortable lounge and some great cocktails, you could try the Trinity Bar, one block over in Challis St, always a good option.

Bandung, Indonesia
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Only 6pm-10am in Canberra: What must see and do?

Hi FilBee,

Great advice! Actually I "need some rest" on the next day in Sydney....that's way I need to leave Canberra in the morning, hope to arrive in Sydney by 2 pm and then take a short sleep before I go to the dinner. So I need many information about the "Late Night" activities here in Canberra.....especially the foods (I'm not bar/pub guy). Will notice about the "L" you said. Thank you.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Only 6pm-10am in Canberra: What must see and do?

WHY do you need to sleep before dinner?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
430 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Only 6pm-10am in Canberra: What must see and do?

"...Especially the foods" well lots of options near where you're staying. You can make a night of it by going downstairs for the degustation menu at Benchmark Wine Bar, french inspired with excellent wines or one block down towards the Lake is Mezza Lira, multi award winning Italian food in a stylish atmosphere. I like degustation menus because they make dining the feature of the whole night. If you like steak you could try the Charcoal Restaurant next door to Mezza Lira, very traditional food, perhaps the ony place I know of that still does deep fried camembert as an entree but excellent steaks cooked to perfection and I've always had good service. If you want to make a night of it you can walk up the road to Braddon, lots of options for dining, lots of late night activity and a generally better quality of patrons (in terms of behaviour and attitude) try the Elk and Pea, tell them you're not in a hurry and spend some time enjoying Mexican style tapas dining, or Italian and Son down the road, so closer to you for some excellent Italian. I'm not a fan of 86 but there are plenty of people that are, they do modern, innovative stuff but the atmosphere and staff can be a put-off for some patrons. Wooley St in Dickson is Chinatown, some great Chinese restaurants; the up market Ruby's or the less expensive, more chaotic but great food at Jimmy's Place. Great Vietnamese at Phu Quoc or Indian at Bollywood Masala. Taj agra is also pretty reliable for Indian. There's a new Chilean restaurant which I haven't tried yet and Rasa Sayang which does some pretty reasonable Malaysian fare. There are others, the Noodle House, always busy and cheap but you're in and out pretty quickly. There's also a Chilean Churasco place so Dickson is one area that offers plenty of choices too.

Outside of food, some of the National institutions, particularly the National Museum and the National Film and Sound Archives sometimes have night time activities, check out their websites or give them a call for details. Dendy cinemas are easy walking distance form the Novotel but then you can go to the movies anywhere. Just down the road from your hotel are; Llewellyn Hall at the ANU School of Music which has concerts, sometimes international performers and/or classical and jazz concerts if that's your thing or the Canberra Theatre and Playhouse for plays and concerts and the Childers Street Theatre. Again, checkout their websites if interested, they're all within walking distance although a fair walk in the case of Llewellyn Hall and it's likely to be cold in the evening. Some galleries within walking distance of the hotel; Canberra Museum and Gallery, Craft ACT, the ANU Drill Hall Gallery might have an exhibition opening which could also be an option, again within walking distance of the Novotel or if you're in Dickson ANCA is just down the road but in each case they're only likely to be a option at night if they have an opening on.

Bandung, Indonesia
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Only 6pm-10am in Canberra: What must see and do?

Hi MacKnee,

After 3-4 hours driving from Canberra to Sydney, of course I need some rest, 1-2 hours before having an all night longdinner party

7. Re: Only 6pm-10am in Canberra: What must see and do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 June 2014, 13:05
Bandung, Indonesia
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Only 6pm-10am in Canberra: What must see and do?

Hi Filbee,

What time will the most of the restaurant at woolley st be closed usually? Especially the Asian one...

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
430 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Only 6pm-10am in Canberra: What must see and do?

Most are open till about 10-1030, Ruby's Chinese open till 1100pm. I first started going there for their Chilli Crab late at night after finishing work at a club, i went with the chef and his apprentice and the place would be full of wait staff who had finished work at other restaurants across Canberra, all eating he same delicious dish. It doesnt really matter however, they're all along the one street so if one's not still open another will be.

Italy
Level Contributor
802 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Only 6pm-10am in Canberra: What must see and do?

...and Mezza Lira is a restaurant?;-))