We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with 40th Birthday

Australia
Level Contributor
144 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Help with 40th Birthday

I'm flying to Canberra for a weekend with my sister (who is a local) for her 40th birthday in October. I would like to arrive with an idea of what we are going to do so she doesn't have to organise anything. I was wanting to find a restaurant that was fun and lively with good food where we can have a nice dinner (It will just be the 2 of us). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Could you please let me know a good area that I can suggest we go to that has good cafes and shopping. Any suggestions that you might have for things to do for example on a Sunday things that locals like to do (I don't want her to have take me sightseeing). I know this might sound strange asking for local things to do when I know a local but I want to arrive with an already organised weekend for her. Many thanks

Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
310 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with 40th Birthday

Hi Buckland

You might find some ideas in this article, "36 hours in Canberra":

nytimes.com/2014/06/08/travel/36-hours-in-ca…

For good cafes / shopping most locals would suggest Kingston or Manuka, which have plenty of cafe options and lots of boutiques. You could of course go to the City where there are more shopping options, and plenty of cafes, though without the nice atmosphere of Kingston or Manuka.

If your sister is like most locals, she probably hasn't been to many of the local attractions. She may appreciate the opportunity to go somewhere like the National Gallery or the Aboretum. The "Canberra" thing to do on a Sunday would be to go somewhere for breakfast, then, depending on the weather, have a bushwalk at Tidbinbilla or Namadgi, or cycle round the lake, or take a drive somewhere close, like Lanyon or Gold Creek.

October should be quite good weather, although spring can be windy. Maybe a balloon ride for her birthday followed by breakfast at Silo.

Canberra
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
431 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with 40th Birthday

I am wondering if you can give a bit guidance - perhaps some cuisines you like? how formal/informal? $$'s? is there a local area within which you will travel? is there a special hobby or thing you/your sister like to do?

DdKent has given some great starting points - with some more thoughts we could pinpoint with you

Australia
Level Contributor
144 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with 40th Birthday

Many thanks for your replies. For dinner maybe no more than $150 for the 2 of us. We eat anything and we are happy to try anything food wise.

4. Re: Help with 40th Birthday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2015, 05:17