We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NSW Road Trip

Which New South Wales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Topic
NSW Road Trip

Hoping to do a week long road trip from Melb via Canberra and Sydney. Will be staying Canberra 2 nights to enable us to see all the big attractions (the main reason for trip) and atleast 1 night in Sydney.

Aside from that we are open to suggestions re: best places to stay/see in NSW (but not North Coast.....next time!).

We would like to get to Junee to the licorice factory (!) and want to go back home by tracing the coast but that's our only set plans at this stage. Maybe Mogo zoo too for the cheetah experience. Blue Mountains,too...but where and what?

We are open to all your expert advice! BTw what else is near Junee- are we really wasting our time going there for that alone? We like outdoorsy stuff and nice food mmmmm. Our time in Canberra is taking care of the museum side of things so no more info required on that...please,no!

Thanks for any tips!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,950 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NSW Road Trip

For Cricket memorabilia stuuf you can drop into Cootamundra...birthplace of our Don worth about 10mins IMHO

Wagga has some nice restaurants..I would consider staying there

Junee has an Historic house...supposedly haunted but name escapes me

Theres an air museum at Temora (owned by Lowy Jnr)...

Is Mogo Zoo the Cheetahs or is it at the National Zoo and Aquarium (just checking on this one as I thought I might book it for Sept for Guru)

you might want to stop for a break at Berrima...heritage town..

Blue Mtns...one of my fave Views is Govetts leap out of Blackheath (not the path as well travelled)

Is that a good start?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: NSW Road Trip

Right you are GW (re Mogo) I was planning on going to both so must have confused myself! I checked again and found Mogo apparently has white lion cubs and keeper for a day...bit pricey though. Have to think about it. perhaps will just stick to Canberras and do a normal visit at Mogo.

Thanks for the tip re: Blackheath & Berrima. Not sure I can stomach Wagga...went there in 88 (drove to Expo in Bris-vegas) and havent really recovered from the experience!

If anyone can direct me to an attractive touring route from Canberra to Blue Mts to Sydney that would be appreciated. Dont mind if its slower/longer, would prefer to avoid freeway if there is a more picturesque way to get in to town. Cheers.

sydney,aust.
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: NSW Road Trip

Canberra-Yass-Boroowa-Cowra-Carcoar-Bathurst-Blue Mountains-Sydney.

Cowra is an interesting place- japanese gardens.wineries etc

BTW...the licorice at Junee is great...

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,733 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NSW Road Trip

HI Adelaide, everything I thought of somebody else already covered :-) Have a great trip.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NSW Road Trip

adelaide74, do you have a 4wd/soft roader and when are you travelling?

There are some absolutely gorgeous routes through the Snowy Mountains National Park that involve long strecthes of very good dirt, no hard 4wding, but 4wd makes it viable. Some sections closed however over the winter. For eg, from Adaminaby to Brindabella (just outside Canberra) via Blue Waterholes and Coolamine homestead (some accommodation in the homestead - contact Kosciusko N. Park). Connect this with Bright, Beechworth, Milawa ....delicious and plenty of beautiful walking in the K.N.P, esp. around Blue Waterholes. Also, after thirty years of visiting KNP, I saw brumbies for the first time, galloping alongside the road and then turning to cross not far ahead, just beyond Coolamine homestead. Absolutely fantastic - we could hardly believe our eyes.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NSW Road Trip

Whoops sorry, I meant Kosciusko National Park, not Snowy Mountains NP.

YASS
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: NSW Road Trip

Between Gundagai & Yass there is a little town called Jugiong, stop for lunch if you can at the Long Track Pantry, Food is great, prices good., coffee excellent, and atmosphere very country. A real haven & just off the Hume Highway.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NSW Road Trip

adelaide,

i know that you said 'no info on canberra musuems' but....

we went for the 9 am free tour of parliament house(the expensive one) and found it to be surprisingly interesting!

don't forget to spend a few hours at the war memorial!

enjoy!

june

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
563 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NSW Road Trip

Adelaide - if getting to Canberra region via Melbourne, can I suggest:

Chiltern, Vic (very pretty) & Rutherglen, esp if you are fond of fortifieds.

Junee - has an historic railway roundhouse - really interesting but not sure of museum opening hours. And the railway station is a classic (sorry, showing my interests there).

Adelong (near Gundagai) is a pretty town - old goldfield.

I'm steering clear of museums, but consider Canberra Zoo & Aquarium - my wife swears by the "Meet a Cheetah experience" and the "Zoo-venture tour" she went on both with our (adult) daughter & reckons it was worth every $$. I watched from a distance & was impressed.

Also in Canberra, the morning baloon trips are something special - again, requires serious $$ - a couple of different companies similarly priced.

Eating out in Canberra - lots of options but but Kingston, Manuka and Dickson are all popular.

10. Re: NSW Road Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 05:20