We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

brisbane to sydney roadtrip, best 3 towns to stop overnight

Glasgow
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
brisbane to sydney roadtrip, best 3 towns to stop overnight

Hi there a few of us are drving from brisbane to sydney over 4 days and want to know where the best 3 towns are to stay. We are hoping to have an equal amount to drive each day. we were thinking byron bay, coffs harbour and newcastle.can anyone suggest anything better, we like beautiful scenery, things to do during day and a fairly good night life.any help is appreciated. thanks

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,945 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: brisbane to sydney roadtrip, best 3 towns to stop overnight

I don't think I'd put Byron Bay in there.... it may be nice for a quick look (it's a pretty place), but, last time I was there, the smell of marijuana hung in the air, there was a lot of petty crime, and the longest queue in town was outside the Social Security office. It's been taken over. Now, it may be a litle better nowadays, but I don't know whjether I'd take the chance. Maybe Port Macquarie would suit you better.

Newcastle is a great big shipping and industrial town which has litle of the charm that characterised most of the north coast towns, but it is big, and if you want plenty of things to do, I guess you would find something to suit you there. I would opt for something a little less industrial if this were my choice, but maybe after three nights you will have seen enough scenery and be eager to join the city folk again.

Nambucca Heads has -- or had, until recently... I guess it's still there (Guruswife will know, so expect her to chime in shortly) a terrific old pub with rooms-with-a-view... a traditional old Aussie establishment which would make an interesting overnight stop, so long as you don't want Hyatt-style luxury. If you want to travel a little away from the coast, Maitland and Kurri Kurri have some great old pubs, also.

Be prepared to drive away from the highway to loook at the scenery... I know it's called the Pacific Highway, but the fact is that it hardly ever looks at the Pacific anymore.... it's been widened and straightened and generally turned into a speedway, and the beautiful views got sacrificed for the sake of speed and level driving. When you see an interesting road leading off the highway to the east, take it... you may get some great surprises (Port macquarie is along one of these... I think another interesting back road is the one around Laurieton, and maybe Hawk's Nest and the Tea Gardens).

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,417 posts
2,136 reviews
2. Re: brisbane to sydney roadtrip, best 3 towns to stop overnight

Hi batesy,

have a look at my "inisde pages" regarding this journey.

my three top places would be.>

1. Yamba

2. Crescent Head/ Hat Head to Port Macquarie

3. Port Stephens.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c3001/Austral…

You just have to reverse the pages. !

Cheers, and enjoy our beautiful coast.

SEQ, Australia
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: brisbane to sydney roadtrip, best 3 towns to stop overnight

IMHO, I think you have it pretty well right. Byron Bay first stop allows you to have a look around the Gold Coast and Tweed Coast before stopping there overnight. Although it doesn't take a large bite out of your journey from Brisbane.

Byron Bay has plenty of appeal and nightlife for the os tourist and is a good fun place to stop. Try and book a cabin on the beach at First Sun Caravan Park. Great spot.

Next stop Coffs Hbr. Another good sized town and about 1/2 way between Brisbane and Sydney. Actually, I think Macksville/Nambucca is - but close enough!

Instead of Newcastle for the last night try Port Macquarie as suggested or maybe Forster or Port Stephens. All good spots!

Really, you won;t be dissapointed in any of the lovely towns dotted along this route and you could just stop when you get tired or find a place you like the look of. Have a nice trip..... : )

Santa Cruz, CA
Level Contributor
132 posts
47 reviews
4. Re: brisbane to sydney roadtrip, best 3 towns to stop overnight

I agree with the last two posters. We drove from Brisbane to Sydney, but took 2 weeks rather than four days. The towns listed above were all highlights. Don't stay in Newcastle.

5. Re: brisbane to sydney roadtrip, best 3 towns to stop overnight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 17:18