We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NSW High Country 4WD Treks

Which New South Wales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
561 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
NSW High Country 4WD Treks

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has done any of the 4WD treks in the NSW High Country? We are looking at doing:

-Broken Cart Trail:from Cotter Dam via Blue Waterholes back onto the Snowy Mtns Hwy near Lake Eucambene/Kiandra

-Ravine - Hidden Valley: from Three Mile Dam to Yarrangobilly Village via Ravine

- Best of Bago: from Talbingo to Tumbarumba

- Geehi Walls: from south of Khancoban to Geehi

I guess I would just like to know what tese treks are like and whether the campgrounds at Blue Water Holes and Three Mile Dam area are ok?

Thanks for any assistance!

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,003 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NSW High Country 4WD Treks

Hi barina - this is a pretty specific request and as a resident of the Snowy Mtns, I haven't even heard of these tracks. A quick Google search did however reveal quite a few trip reviews by various 4WD magazines and clubs. For up to date conditions of tracks and camping grounds you should probably contact NP&WS

…nsw.gov.au/NationalParks/parkHome.aspx…

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NSW High Country 4WD Treks

Hi Barina,

I suspect you have Craig Lewis and Cathy Savage's book?

We have done the Broken Cart Trail from the Adaminaby end. From Adaminaby to Blue Waterholes is scenic and not much more than a gravel road - there were plenty of Subarus at Blue Waterholes. From BW back to Cotter though is tricky - I found the book's directions hard to follow and so had a Hema and topographic map, but still was unable to follow the book's directions. We did make it through - it is definitely 4wd only (not all wd) and quite honestly , is pretty heavy going for not much reward. We did the trip again recently and stayed at Currango, but this time entered and left via Adaminaby. Currango is beautiful, Blue Waterholes fascinating and so unexpected; Tantangara Reservoir also beautiful - your first glimpses from up high on the road in from Adaminaby are quite breathtaking.

Haven't stayed at the campgrounds, but would imagine BW at least would be ok. If you want something really different, stay at Currango in one of the original cottages (book through NPWS)

For an alternative to the Snowy Mountains Highway from Canberra to Adaminaby, get yourself to Tharwa (on southern outskirts of Canberra) then take Naas Rd, then Bobyan Roads - all good dirt. There's a spot (I think about half an hour south of Tharwa) which has great views of the Namadgi range. Use whereis for exact directions.

Last Easter, we did the Davies Plain and Mt Pinnibar treks (both in that book). We stayed at Jindabyne and did both in one day. The view from the summit of Pinnibar, looking back to the main range from the south is just superb. We had a few 7- 10 year olds with us and even they were impressed! they are desperate to get back there and camp - you really feel like you're on top of a mountain (unlike Mt K. where you are just a bit taller than all the others nearby). This is DEFINITELY 4wd only and you will need low range for the descent from Mt Pinnibar to Tom Groggin. You really must travel with another car and preferably carry a satellite phone. The Murray River crossing was easy in April, but think it would not be so viable in the snow melt in spring and the whole area is closed in winter (as incidentally is the Long Plain area of Blue Waterholes).

As I said, we did the whole thing in one day and were back in Thredbo for pizza, a glass of vino and some gelato on the terrace of the Thredbo Hotel at about 6pm. It was absolutely magic.

I asked questions about the drive on the Exploroz forum - lots of helpful 4wd people there - they advised me to do the Mt Pinnibar loop clockwise to make sure we were descending rather than ascending the extremely steep bit into Tom Groggin at the end. You wouldn't want there to have been any rain for a week or so before you go either - check NPWS at Jindabyne for conditions - they are very helpful.

Have fun!

Sydney
Level Contributor
561 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NSW High Country 4WD Treks

Hi and thanks for the replies!

Yes that is the book we have...and have been studying it well.

We are off there at Easter just for the long weekend. with 3 cars. We all have 4WD's, my husband is installing a winch at the moment.

Thanks so much for the information! I might look into one of those huts for something different. This is the first time for me going 4wding (I have camped many times before) but not in rural places like this!

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NSW High Country 4WD Treks

I think you'll find Blue Waterholes is pretty busy at Easter,- not too many problems related to remoteness. The Mt Pinnibar/Davies Plain treks are much more remote, although Easter being the most popular time of the year down there, you'll probably pass other vehicles occasionally.The 4wd standard is not difficult; the descent into Tom Groggin is extremely steep and you would kill yourself if attempted when slippery (very big trees very close to the track); it is rocky in places (we blew a tyre), but no big ruts etc.

I'm almost certain Currango will be booked out. It's very popular with horse riders - look out for brumbies in the area, they are very numerous. If you have children with you, Currango is an amazing step back in time (mind you for middle aged adults too); there is no power (apart from gas powered fridge) and minimal lighting and no hot water. The day revolves around chopping wood and keeping the fire going. There is an old bucket shower and the loo is about 70 metres from the house - which is fine during the day, but at night, when the wild dogs are howling, it's pretty spooky (and FUN!!!!) Maybe you can plan that one for another time if you can't get in this year - it's ideal for a big group (sleeps about 20 from memory). It is an absolutely magic spot.

5. Re: NSW High Country 4WD Treks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2010, 06:17