We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

great ocean road

ISLE OF MAN
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
great ocean road

we have limited time which road trip is better Adelaide to Melbourne or Melbourne to Sydney?

thank you

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,492 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: great ocean road

The "Great Ocean Road" actually refers to a specific stretch of road from Melbourne in the direction of but not all the way to Adelaide. If you have limited time it would be useful for us to know how much time you have, and which cities you want to visit, also whether you want the coastal experience for scenery or swimming or whatever, and the time of year, basically the more you can tell us the better so that we can best advise you in the context of YOUR holiday. The GOR (which btw is in the state of Victoria) is well worth doing IMO, and it might be that an overnight GOR loop Melbourne to Melbourne fits in best for you. Or the Grand Pacific Drive out of Sydney might satisfy your desire for coastal scenery in an even shorter space of time? (Haven't done that one myself.) The Adelaide region is well worth visiting but if your time is too limited to stay and enjoy then going all the way might not be the best use of your time. As I say, the more you can tell us the better. Actually I just thought to check if you have posted any previous questions and I see you've been given the link to the official GOR website so you might like to have a look at that.

Edited: 19 September 2010, 01:21
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,533 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: great ocean road

Hi Minneola

they are both very different to each other.

If you have limited time and want to get from one place to another, eg Melbourne to Adelaide, the GOR is a terrific option. I've read a few trip reports from visitors who have done part of the GOR as a day trip from Melbourne and they wrote that they really enjoyed it.

If you are spending a few days in Sydney, you can do a day trip from Sydney to the South Coast - one of my favourite parts of NSW - here's a TR that may be of interest to you about a day trip to Berry earlier this year - tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255058-c130386/Ne…

Again, if you were staying in Sydney and wanted to visit the Blue Mts, you could hire a car, drive to the Blue Mts, stay overnight and then head back down the Mts towards the coast, stay overnight and then back to Sydney.

If you want more info please let us know - as MacKnee said, the more info you give us about times and cities, we're more able to tailor our advice to suit.

ISLE OF MAN
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: great ocean road

Thank you for your comments. we are travelling in Feb/March for 5 weeks and will be spending a week driving around Tasmania and a week in Cairns and around the Barrier Reef. we are also looking to spend time in the Whitsundays,Byron Bay and 5 days in Sydney. Our problem is that both the GOR and Melbourne to Sydney look great,but we don't just want to drive and tick the box. we would like to have time to enjoy the areas. Are we trying to do too much?

thanks

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: great ocean road

On calculations you have about 1 week left for your ocean drive. Can you factor in driving to Blue Mountains and down to the coast,as suggested by DougOz, then continue the drive south to Melbourne . You could allow 4 days from Berry.

Then 2 or 3 days for the GOR.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,533 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: great ocean road

I think you may be pushing it to fit in the Whitsundays and Byron if you want time in Tassie as well as time in Cairns, Sydney and Melbourne not to mention the drive between Sydney/Melbourne and Melbourne / Adelaide.

For example, you could easily spend 3 weeks in Tassie and still not see everything thing.

I'm not sure where you fly into first, but I would think this would determine the route you take on your holiday, ie if you drive firstly to Melbourne after a few days in Sydney, maybe head over to Tassie for at least a week then back to Melbourne for the GOR-Adelaide, fly to Cairns and spend time there and maybe head down to the Whitsundays.

If you do include Tasmania and if you decided to have a short time there, you may be better concentrating on one or two areas, such as Hobart / Huon Valley / Port Arthur areas

Is there anything in particular that you really wanted to do / see?

The other issue is the cost of one-way hire car fees - have you looked into those fees and charges as I'm not sure how much they would be. A search of the forums may be of help to you as I know others have provided advice about this matter,

Edited: 19 September 2010, 14:41
East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: great ocean road

Answering your very first question - GOR from Adelaide over coastal route Melb.-Sydney

I hate to say it but IMHO Adelaide to Melbourne GOR route would be of more interest- because their would be more diversity of scenery.

There is a lot of beautiful forest on the east coast route which some people do not find so appealing.

On the other hand if you travelled via Phillip Island through Foster to Sale ; Eden to Merimbula; take a break in Canberra before heading back to the coast at Batemans Bay would be quite a pleasant drive.

Both need at least a 5 day drive though you could take longer or rush it and make it in a shorter time.

Wollongong, NSW...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: great ocean road

Hi Minneola

It's Tourism Wollongong here.

The Melbourne to Sydney coastal drive is approx. 900km and could take anywhere from 5-12 days (or less/more), depending on how much time you've got to spend on the road. Part of the Sydney to Melbourne drive, includes Grand Pacific Drive, if you are travelling south to north the drive starts at Bomaderry and passes through the coastal towns of Kiama, Shellharbour, Wollongong to Sydney via the coastal route. Check out the below websites for more information...

www.sydneymelbournetouring.com.au and www.grandpacificdrive.com.au

Happy travelling!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
407 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: great ocean road

Great Ocean Road is Breathtakingly Beautiful. I agree with gardenboffin on the 5 day minimum, any less would be too rushed (and too much car time) in my opinion.

melbourne victoria
Level Contributor
87 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: great ocean road

I would take melbourne off your list if you only have 5 weeks as tassie alone you need at least 2 weeks to it at a relaxed pace its really lovely if you like the countryside.cairns is too.both really nice townsville not that far from cairns too is even better then cairns.(the later is more beautiful i think anyway)

10. Re: great ocean road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2011, 06:19