We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kiama or Merimbula

Which New South Wales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
7 posts
Save Topic
Kiama or Merimbula

Hi

I am in the process of planning a 2 week trip for the Sept/Oct school holidays. We will be travelling from Adelaide with our 7 & 5 year old children and have a camper trailer. I have never been to the south coast of NSW, so am after some advice on where to stay - we will have 9/10 nights. I think I have narrowed it down to Kiama or Merimbula (or possibly both, but would like to minimise no of times we need to pack/unpack trailer). Realise that it probably won't be beach weather (swimming), but we like the beach, walking and exploring small towns, as well as some activities to keep the kids happy.

Thanks.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kiama or Merimbula

where u travelling from?

there is a substantial distance between the two;

kiama is almost a suburb of wollongong these days.

and it's a very popular weekend destination for city folk..

it is connected to the 'gong and sydney by electric train.

the area has some nice beaches and there are many towns to the south that have some appeal eg. gerringong, berry, shoalhaven heads and even jervis bay. to the west is the southern highlands.

merimbula is probably more of a south coast experience. a little more lay back. plenty to explore in the area eg. bega/tathra, eden on the coast as well as in the hinterland.

lots of nice beaches plus the 'lake'.

it's a day's jorney between the two.

many other places in between to chose from tho.

jervis bay, ulladulla/mollymook. batemans bay and narooma are just a few

Edited: 10 May 2012, 02:54
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kiama or Merimbula

ooops...missed the obligatory web site:

www.visitnsw.com/destinations/south-coast

Adelaide, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kiama or Merimbula

Thanks so much for the info lien and the web link.

We are from Adelaide, so that is our start and end point.

Was hoping to fit both in, but think there is too much to do in both towns and surrounding areas in the time we have.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kiama or Merimbula

well in that case i dont think there is any necessity to come up the coast as far as kiama.

am sure somewhere on the sapphire coast (eden to bermagui) will more than fit the bill.

http://www.sapphirecoast.com.au/

Adelaide, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kiama or Merimbula

Great, thanks again for your advice.

Sydney
Level Contributor
234 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kiama or Merimbula

Hi

We have a permanent van in Kiama so you could say Im biased :-) It is a really lovely part of the world and we swim at that time of the year (sometimes a tad chilly!!) but being further north than Merimbula it is of course warmer. I can heartily recommend our van park. Its Easts Beach (and no Im not part of the family that owns it) you can request a spot for your camper on the beach front (with a small lagoon & low sand hill between you & surf). Its right beside the amenities & in between 2 playgrounds for the kids. School hols they show free movies & then you have the whole region to enjoy. Jambaroo is 20 mins drive away. The townships of Kiama, Gerringong & Berry all very much worth a visit & you are only an 1 1/2 hour out of Sydney for a day trip. I love Merimbula but my vote is Kiama

7. Re: Kiama or Merimbula

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 04:17