We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney to Melbourne train

Sudbury, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Sydney to Melbourne train

I am considering taking the train from Sydney to Melbourne to see some of the country. It is a full day trip and am wondering if the scenery is worth it or should I fly and spend the extra time right in Melbourne?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,748 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney to Melbourne train

The XPT service runs twice daily to Melbourne, and from memory the morning service departs at around 07:30am. If you're on this service, yes it's quite scenic and you go through numerous little townships along the way - some of which you would never see if you were driving. That is country scenic, not ocean scenic.

Having said this, it just a tad over eleven hours (that is scheduled with no weather enforced speed restrictions), or traffic delays, and the trains are nothing like our European counterparts - in any aspect.

So unless you really have a great deal of time, or a train buff, perhaps flying maybe a better option.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney to Melbourne train

if u like watching paint dry or grass grow this is the trip for you.

fly!

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney to Melbourne train

If you can think of ways to fill the time 10.30am til 7pm in Melb, then fly. If not then the train is for you. Pricing could be similar, with LCC air fare. Sometimes cheaper with Jetstar or Tiger.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,851 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney to Melbourne train

Hi,

Rail journeys in Oz aren't like they are in Europe and the Uk although you no longer have to change trains at Albury where the different track guages between NSW and VIC came into play. Your fellow passengers are likely to largely be OAP and other pensioners who get almost free rail travel.

I'm with lien.

Cheers,

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,626 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney to Melbourne train

I live in the Albury region and occasionally take the train to Melbourne (3 hours when on time and that is not often). I also have to go to Sydney often for work but would never consider taking the train. Unless it is the only scenic touring you are going to do whilst here then I would skip the train and find a cheap airfare

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydney to Melbourne train

I have found over many years that visitors from overseas find the Australian countryside very different from what they are accustomed to. They find it a refreshing and unique change. As a local, like many others, I find some places less interesting because of overfamiliarity. Anybody wanting to see the countryside can only do so by using ground transport; road or rail. You will see very littellfrom 35,000ft.

The morning train departs Sydney at 7.40am. J0urney time is currently around 11 hours. A recent trip I made was marked by significant early running. Onboard service is of very good quality. For bookings go to

www.countrylink.info

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sydney to Melbourne train

There are much better ways to enjoy wonderful scenery over a 10 hour period than taking a slow and expensive train ride between Sydney and Melbourne.

Spend an extra day in Melbourne visiting the truly fabulous Great Ocean Road.

Spend 10 hours on a day trip out of Sydney visiting the world heritage area of the Blue Mountains.

Both more interesting than the train ride from Sydney to Melbourne.

Fly!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,748 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sydney to Melbourne train

I'm sticking with my original post of flying, but IF you should choose to take the train;

1. Don't go First Class, there's no seating difference between First and Economy is the sitting cars.

2. Request Car 'C' at the time of booking. Car C is where the buffet is located, but separated by and automated door. Due to this, the saloon section is about a third of the size of other sitting cars. Less seats, less crowded and closest to buffet when meal service is called. And still considered Economy.

3. All the food onboard are pre-prepared and reheated or packaged. So if you're particularly wishing for something fresh like a salad, take it with you.

4. There's no smoking onboard and you are not permitted to jump off at intermittent stops.

Sudbury, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sydney to Melbourne train

A huge thank you to all who responded.With the information you have all passed along I will to choose to fly and then spend the extra time in Melbourne enjoying thelocal sites there.

10. Re: Sydney to Melbourne train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2014, 06:16