We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week in Sydney area (excluding Sydney)

Which New South Wales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bay Area, Ca
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
1 week in Sydney area (excluding Sydney)

We have about 1 week (9 days) time to explore the area next to Sydney and we don't know which direction we should go. We have a rental car. Should we go north (the maximum we can drive is to Fraser Island), south (the coast to Melbourne) or should we do the National Parks around the city? It is our first time in Australia, we don't have kids that need to keep happy :-). We just want to see a lot of stuff, because we are not able to be at the beach for hours. For exploring the city we have enough time since we are here for a business trip the week before.

Hope you have a lot of suggestions!

Katy

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week in Sydney area (excluding Sydney)

Are you returning the rental car to sydney? What are your interests? Do you like the coast, bush walks, nature, city life?

If driving as far as Fraser or Melbourne I would like to stop and see the sights on the way otherwise would consider a flight to the destinations.The coast either north or South has beautiful scenery as does The Blue Mountains and surrounds.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,048 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week in Sydney area (excluding Sydney)

You could do a nice roadtrip from Sydney.

Head down the coast as far as Bateman's Bay, then inland to visit Canberra (our National Capital).

From Canberra, go down to Cooma then into the Snowy Mountains through Jindabyne, Thredbo and visit Mt Kosciuszko. From there head to Talangatta, then on to Bright and explore the North East Victorian wine region.

You can then head straight back to Melbourne on the Hume Highway or alternately, detour through the Yarra Valley (try some of their wines too).

At a leisurely pace, that should take you the better part of a week.

Then I'd suggest you drop off the car, explore Melbourne for a couple of days and fly back to Sydney.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,570 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 week in Sydney area (excluding Sydney)

What time of year? This is critical.

Me? I'd actually fly to Melbourne and then drive the Great Ocean Road, visit the Mornington Peninsula and visit Philip Island. Probably because I've given this area short shrift in the past and wish I'd had more time to see it, so I may be biased. Oh, and I love the penguins.

A loop that takes you down the coast a bit from Sydney, then inland through Canberra and into Kosiosko, then north through the country towns to somewhere one the Central Coast and back to Sydney would be a good Sydney-to-Sydney loop if that's what you are after.

It also really depends on your interests and what you want to see and do.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,744 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 week in Sydney area (excluding Sydney)

Is the car booked or are you in some way committed to or particularly interested in a drive from Sydney? In 9 days you would have time to fly to one or two other places or fly somewhere else and do a drive from there. You have a lot of possibilities. As mentioned, it does depend on your interests and the time of year.

If it must be a loop from Sydney then IMO south via the Blue Mountains, Southern Highlands, the capital, the Snowy Mountains and then back up to Sydney via the coast would be a great trip with a lot of variety.

Bay Area, Ca
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 week in Sydney area (excluding Sydney)

Thanks for your answers! Couple of things I never heard about, so I will do my research now :-)

It is next week already, very short notice business trip and I am happy we could add a week although I know one month would not be enough.

So you both would prefer going south? Is there a different between the amount of tourists? In addition we prefer nature (doesn't matter if coast or bush) over city. And yes, the car is already booked.

Edited: 21 November 2013, 00:16
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,744 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 week in Sydney area (excluding Sydney)

>>We just want to see a lot of stuff, because we are not able to be at the beach for hours.<<

Sorry, I had to read that twice, I was wondering why you are not able to be at the beach?Are you saying you prefer an active sightseeing trip rather than a relaxing lying on the beach holiday (vacation). Or are you really somehow not "able" to be at the beach, eg, can't swim, prone to sunburn? My suggestion of returning up the coast would include as much or as little beach time as you want.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,744 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 week in Sydney area (excluding Sydney)

Hi Katy, I see you just replied. Regarding nature, can you expand on that please. Where on the spectrum would you lie from 'a stroll around botanic gardens and zoos is nice' to 'I've got my backpack, map, compass and locator beacon and I'll be back in around eight hours'?

Bay Area, Ca
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 week in Sydney area (excluding Sydney)

Hi again!

I am not able to be on the beach for long means I am not the kind of person who is patient enough to lie on a towel more than one hour :-) I just want to see things (and stuff *g*). But I am also not a 8 hour hiker. Just the average tourist I guess.

So still preferring south?

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,744 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 week in Sydney area (excluding Sydney)

Not able implies, well, unable for some reason. You're talking a personal preference rather than an ability; comes under the category of "interests" which we are always trying to get people to tell us more about. Knowing about things like that is helpful for us so that we can make the most appropriate suggestions. So if there was a particularly scenic beach, eg Hyams Beach famed for its white sand, you might be interested in walking it?

Bay Area, Ca
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 week in Sydney area (excluding Sydney)

I am really sorry, english is not my first language so I probably wrote something confusing.

Wow.... Hyams Beach... I just looked it up. That's amazing. Of course that would be worth to stop, walk and even take a swim (if allowed, because most of the pictures are without people). In the beginning of my post I tend to go north, but since you mentioned so many great things to do south that's probably a good alternative.