We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne - Mildura (Mungo NP) IN January

Lyon, France
3 posts
Save Topic
Melbourne - Mildura (Mungo NP) IN January

Hi !

I am French and I am staying for two short weeks in Melbourne/Australia during late december /early January and among other things I plan to do, I want to see a little bit of the "outback". Since I don't have a lot of money and time to do everything I want to do, I was thinking of doing a 3 days trip to Mildura since it seems to be the closest to Melbourne and from there, plan a day tour to Mungo park -.

Here is my little plan :

D1 : train from Melbourne to Mildura (it's long but the cheapest)

D2 : day trip to Mungo Park + evening in Mildura

D3 : return to Melbourne by train.

My questions are :

Is Mungo Park worth it even if i spend just a day there ? Any good advice on tour operators there ?

Is it okay to go there in January (is the weather not too rough?)

How do I book trains ? I can't find the online booking, it seems you can only do it directly at the train station or by phone ...

If anybody has good advice, for me I will be happy to hear them.

Thanks in advance.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,385 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne - Mildura (Mungo NP) IN January

Hi,

Do the French melt in the heat or do you follow the "March or Die" edict of Légion étrangère?

Mungo is fascinating if you are into archaeology and some of the earliest human records on the planet.

It will be "as hot as hades"

Take a tour with the indigenous owners.

Train travel ...............???????????

Cheers and Bon chance!

Lyon, France
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne - Mildura (Mungo NP) IN January

Thanks for your answer !

I meant coaches to travel ... not trains I guess ?

Is the heat so bad ? I was ready for some high temperatures, but it is something that should make me reconsider my trip ? Will i suffocate before I manage to take a nice picture ? :-/

I have to admit that I wanted to go to Mungo NP because since I am mostly staying around Melbourne, I wanted to see other landscape and beautiful scenery than those directly around Melbourne... I am not that much into archeoology (although it can be interesting too, but not as a main attraction point).

Oz
Level Contributor
12,385 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne - Mildura (Mungo NP) IN January

Hi,

Mungo in January would not be for me.

Cheers,

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne - Mildura (Mungo NP) IN January

Mungo is fascinating, but a long long trip just to see some different scenery. The average temperature in Mildura last January was 34 deg, Mungo will be a little hotter due to the lack of shade there. The highest temp this year was 45 deg, not fun to be walking around a semi desert landscape.

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne - Mildura (Mungo NP) IN January

You book nearly all regional transport (trains and coaches) in Victoria on the V/line site:

http://www.vline.com.au/home/

The trip to Mildura is often a train to Swan Hill then a coach, but during January I think the trains between Melbourne and Bendigo are being replaced by buses because of work occurring on the track. However, the V/line site will tell you what's on offer.

Lyon, France
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne - Mildura (Mungo NP) IN January

Thanks for the advice and help everybody. I guess I will check temperatures once I am in Melbourne and try to time my trip when they are not at their highest (45°C is crazy!).

I know it's a long trip to see the outback, but I figured It might the only opportunity I will ever have to see it so if I can do it, I will try !

Mittagong, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melbourne - Mildura (Mungo NP) IN January

If it's your only chance, it's probably worthwhile. That part of the world is quite different to the coastal areas.Check the weather forecast when you arrive in Melbourne. It will be hot but not usually humid which makes a difference. If you choose to go, remember your hat, sunglasses, sunscreen and plenty of water to drink.

Hopefully you maybe able to return to visit more of the inland areas. Spring and autumn are the best times. Ironically, it can get too cold in winter.

Edited: 25 December 2013, 06:46
Sydney
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melbourne - Mildura (Mungo NP) IN January

My son did a road trip in January last year to Mungo. It was a photographic trip and January was the only available time to him. He is an experienced outback traveller, travelling in an air conditioned four wheel drive and although he loved it, he said that beyond early morning, the days were so hot as to be verging on dangerous to be outside for long. Of course, the weather may be less extreme than he experience, but in January, you would have to expect that kind of heat.

It is a unique landscape and you really can sense its antiquity. But it's a long way from Melbourne, even more so by public transport. If it rains, there is a real possibility that the road will be closed for a couple of days. If you could afford to hire a 4 wd and drive yourself, I would be tempted. It's also best to be able to drive the whole circuit of the park, something I think the tours don't do. Otherwise, I think it just wouldn't be worth it.

Sometimes Europeans don't grasp the vastness and emptiness of Australia. I have French nieces and nephews and on a mini road trip we did when she was young, my niece asked me ' but where are all the people?' There just isn't infrastructure ( transport, towns etc) everywhere.

If you think 45 is too hot, I would reconsider. It could well be like this day after day, and of you are camping and catching public transport ( if it even exists into Mungo) I think you would find it exhausting and possibly not much fun.

Interestingly, as of July 2012' the management of Mungo Lodge and many of the staff were French!

9. Re: Melbourne - Mildura (Mungo NP) IN January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2014, 05:17