We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wild Koala

Lancashire, UK
Level Contributor
66 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Wild Koala

Can anyone suggest where in Northern New South Wales where we might see Koalas in the wild.

We are travelling there in a couple of weeks and would much rather see them in the wild than a zoo.

Any suggestions

thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,158 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wild Koala

Koalas are very difficult to see in the wild even in areas they are known to live. If you are going to Port Macquarie you might like to visit the koala hospital koalahospital.org.au/education/hospital-tour

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,903 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wild Koala

Not in NSW - but we have had several visiting our garden these past weeks. From a big old fella (who made my heart jump when I watched HIM jump across to another branch about 2 metres away) down to a lovely little baby girl who was desperate for a drink and was just sitting on the ground for hours. This morning there is a middle sized one sitting in a big tree above our deck.

I can pretty well guarantee sightings in a few places around Adelaide (though not always in my own garden).

Edited: 14 February 2014, 22:11
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,481 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wild Koala

Poor little koalas, Nozzie. Do they often come to you for a drink in the searing weather you've been having over there? Would they go through a sprinkler on the lawn or under your trees to cool off?

My goddaughter & her family lives in Port Macquarie & there is often a koala or two in the trees in the reserve at the back of their house.

Their boys have grown up convinced they have pet koalas, watch out for them & have names for everyone.

Very funny a couple of years when Carlo appeared with a Joey & the boys promptly re-named her "Carlotta". Couldn't really explain to a then 3 & 5 year old why the adults were sniggering & snorting with laughter.

(Carlotta is a very well known & successful

drag queen of the 60's - 90's in Sydney.)

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wild Koala

Hi dlynclyn!

There are several reasons why koalas may be very difficult to spot in the wild.

They tend to be nocturnal sleeping for up to 20 hours a day. So you are unlikely to spot them as they don't move about much during the day.

They are well camouflaged and tend to sleep in the forks of high branches making them harder to see.

They are solitary animals with each koala having its own 'home range' of several trees which it visits, so you won't see a large group of koalas in the wild, just individuals. That makes them difficult to find.

When we lived in a semi rural area we too had our 'own' resident and when I tried to point him out to visitors, even if I described his exact location they often had trouble spotting him.

Locating him at night when he was vociferously defending his territory against a would be intruder was a whole lot easier. What a noise they can make!

Seeing them on the ground as nozzie described usually means they are very distressed and in search of water. Hope the poor baby is all better now nozzie.

Edited: 15 February 2014, 01:03
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,903 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wild Koala

Yes they do come to us for a drink and we do leave water out for them. It seems when they get really stressed they will sit on the ground at the base of tree rather than up in the air. Here is a link to some stories about koalas in our recent heat wave.

adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/huma…

6. Re: Wild Koala

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2015, 06:19