We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers

Which New South Wales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lancashire
Level Contributor
127 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First timers

Hi we are thinking of traveling to austrailia for our honeymoon in April/may next year. We are aware it is out of season but I'm sure the weather will be better than the uk!! We have 3 weeks but we are trying to combine a few nights in Fiji for some luxury relaxation.

Neither of us have ever been to austrailia before. So far we are thinking of arriving in to Melbourne having a couple of nights there then driving to Sydney with an overnight stop on the way. After that we are not sure, we would like to go to the blue mountains and possibly hunter valley.

Do you think we should stay in Sydney for the remaining 10-12 nights or should we head up to Brisbane before Fiji?

Suggestions on accommodation and things to see and do would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,551 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers

Congratulations!

>>We are aware it is out of season but I'm sure the weather will be better than the uk!!<<

That's autumn and should be very pleasant, but across a country the size of Australia the climate does vary. See the FAQ's over on the right for more details.

Edit: Sorry, you've posted in the New South Wales forum, go back to the main Australia forum for the Weather FAQ.

>>So far we are thinking of arriving in to Melbourne having a couple of nights there then driving to Sydney with an overnight stop on the way.<<

I think a couple of nights is shortchanging Melbourne, and certainly not long enough if you want to see the wider region, eg the Great Ocean Road.

And only one overnight stop driving between Melbourne and Sydney is too rushed, doable but not really worthwhile if taking the inland route and much too rushed for the longer somewhat coastal route. My advice is to either plan sufficient days to really enjoy the road trip or fly.

>>After that we are not sure, we would like to go to the blue mountains and possibly hunter valley.<<

Do you know what those regions offer or are they under consideration simply for being well-known Sydney region so-called must do's?

>>Do you think we should stay in Sydney for the remaining 10-12 nights or should we head up to Brisbane before Fiji?<<

10-12 days is a long time for one location. You could use some of that time for your other destinations or for something else. Any particular reason for Brisbane or just another well-known city? I ask because there are just so many more options, it would help if we knew more about your interests?

Edited: 01 July 2014, 14:39
Lancashire
Level Contributor
127 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers

Hi thank you. We are aware we can't see it all which was the reason for heading to Sydney from Melbourne. Yes the places I mentioned are places that I have heard of for their popularity and any other suggestions are greatly welcome! I really don't have much/any knowledge of the area so please feel free to suggest anything.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers

Hi,

Anything you want to see particularly en route from Melbourne to Sydney? If not you could fly From Melbourne - Uluru - Sydney, and add in a few days in the red centre. Uluru was a must see for me - but maybe not for you? I agree with the thought of spending longer in Melbourne do you can do the great ocean road.

The other popular spot (for good reason), is north QLD for the reef and rainforest.

Abs :)

4. Re: First timers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2015, 06:17