We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this practical?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
211 reviews
Save Topic
Is this practical?

Wondering how long you would allow to drive from Sydney to Adelaide cross country and then back via the coast, Melbourne and Canberra? At a relaxed pace!

Where would the best stops be and best things to see?

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Adelaide
Adelaide
Greater Adelaide, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Canberra
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this practical?

At a relaxed pace, including a few days in each major city I'd allow at least 3 weeks.

I'm not sure on the best places to stop from Sydney to Adelaide but Adelaide-Melbourne id stop at Kangaroo Island 2 days, Robe, Mt Gambier, Warrnambool, Port Campbell, Lorne, Melbourne, Phillip Island, Wilson's Prom, Lakes Entrance, Eden then maybe 2 more stops before Sydney that someone more familiar could suggest. This allows for only a few hours driving per day and plenty of sightseeing time.

You could cut this down to less time but it would mean increasing the driving distances each day and it would no longer be a relaxed pace.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Adelaide
Adelaide
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Kangaroo Island
Kangaroo Island
South Australia, Australia
Warrnambool
Warrnambool
Victoria, Australia
Lorne
Lorne
Victoria, Australia
Phillip Island
Phillip Island
Victoria, Australia
Lakes Entrance
Lakes Entrance
Gippsland, Australia
Eden
Eden
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,229 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this practical?

Hi Margaret

I'm sure you know that's one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions, open to everyone's interpretation of "leisurely pace", travelling style & more.

My off the cuff answer is "about a month" if you want to stop here & there to explore ...

When you are planning the trip may influence my and others' recommendations, too.

Which leads me to your next question " where to stop & what to see". That depends in very large part on your particular interests. There's enough to see & do to fill 3-4 months or more if you wanted.

Rather than trying to guess what you might like - let me ask you, what made you think this might be an interesting drive?

What would you hope to experience?

Edited: 27 July 2014, 00:02
Sydney
Level Contributor
60 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this practical?

As far as things to see on your way from Sydney to Adelaide it depends on how much driving you are prepared to do.

A couple of hours away are the beautiful Southern Highlands, further down the highway is a classic country town in Goulburn where you have to see the Big Merino. If you are passing Jugiong at lunchtime the is a lovely country cafe The Long Track Pantry.

Driving will take you along the Hay Plain - a long stretch of nothing - flat featureless countryside but nothing like you'll see in the UK

Stay in Mildura ( about 12 hrs driving from Sydney) on a house boat for a few nights and have some delicious local food and wine. Travel up and down the Murray River and see some beautiful Australian scenery ( lunch at Trentham Winery on the banks of the Murray is lovely on a clear day) or if the budget doesn't stretch there are beautiful caravan parks along the Murray.

A trip to Mungo National Park - about 2hrs north east of Mildura - is also special - be sure to see the Walls of China.

South Australia boasts some great wineries around if your interests lie there.

Hope that helps

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Adelaide
Adelaide
Goulburn
Goulburn
The Big Merino
The Big Merino
269 Reviews
Goulburn, Australia
Mildura
Mildura
Victoria, Australia
Murray River
Murray River
147 Reviews
Mungo National Park
Mungo National Park
188 Reviews
Balranald, Australia
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this practical?

It IS a "piece of string question" :-) But LOstris's "3 weeks" is not a bad minimum for a leisurely trip. Hubby and I did a similar drive years ago, 3 weeks to Adelaide and back along the coast via Melbourne, the difference being our loop was from Canberra not Sydney. If you have at least that much time available I am sure you will get lots more great suggestions of what to include here.

Mentioned in this post
Adelaide
Adelaide
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Canberra
Canberra
Sydney
Sydney
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this practical?

Thanks folks. We have about 10 days so I am thinking we probably need to be a bit more realistic. Probably Sydney to Melbourne via the inland route and Melbourne to Sydney via the coast?

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this practical?

I don't think even that is feasible in 10 days. I mean I guess you could rush and tick off things but that's not very sensible and didn't sound like what you wanted anyway. Do you have flights booked? It would help if you could fly out of Melbourne instead of needing to return to Sydney. What exactly are your priorities for the trip, what do you want to see and do?

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this practical?

Flights are booked in and out of Sydney I am afraid. I am really not sure what I want to do. Over 60 so nothing very strenuous! Just exploring and maybe take in a winery or two. Would like to find one on the route that does accommodation and food if possible.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this practical?

I'd really think about doing an internal flight or two. If you want to do a road trip or see a bit of the coastline then I would make that just a part of your trip, not the whole trip. So the task is to identify which locations/attractions/etc to include, and put them together in a day-by-day itinerary.

The main wine regions on your route are the Hunter Valley near Sydney and the Yarra Valley near Melbourne, but there are others, including quite a few wineries around Canberra, also on the south coast. A winery with accommodation and dining would narrow things down, do you have any particular preference for type of wine? I'm just thinking aloud here, trying to get more specifics so that we can make the best suggestions for you.

Oh, I don't think you've said when?

Mentioned in this post
Hunter Valley
Hunter Valley
Sydney
Sydney
Yarra Valley
Yarra Valley
Victoria, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Canberra
Canberra
Leyte Island...
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
11,015 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this practical?

You can comfortably drive from Sydney to Adelaide to Melbourne to Sydney in your 10 days but you will spend a lot of your time on the road.

It will be like one of those bus tours I have been on from London through Europe. You spend a lot of time on the coach staring out the window without experiencing very much at all.

If you want wineries on your inland route from Sydney to Melbourne do not miss Rutherglen, near Albury Wodongs

http://www.winemakers.com.au/wineries.asp

My favourite on that list is All Saints

Off on it's own is my favourite winery of all, it is Brown Brothers. I used to live just over 10 minutes drive from Brown Brothers.

http://www.brownbrothers.com.au/

You can divert to Milawa from the Hume Highway, near Wangaratta.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Adelaide
Adelaide
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Albury
Albury
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this practical?

Hi. We recently did Adelaide - Sydney, one way, in 16 days and it felt rushed.

Hunter Valley is great for wines and a few spots have accommodation too.

If you are in the area, then I agree with the Browns Brothers suggestion above. They have a stunning range for tasting, including a good selection of sweeter and dessert wines. The area around Browns Brothers has lots of foodie stops too - a mustard maker, cheese factory, olive shop etc...

One option would be to drive down to Melbourne via the coast - nights in Kangaroo Valley/Jervis Bay, merimbula, Lakes Entrance. Few nights in Melbourne and then back via the hulme highway, visit Yarra valley or wineries such as browns brothers, stay near Albury then Canberra then Sydney.

That isn't relaxed, but it certainly isn't break neck pace!

Alternatively you could do a much more sedate loop from Sydney Blue Mtns, Hunter Valley, Port Stephens, then south to Kangaroo Valley and Canberra.

Abs :)

Mentioned in this post
Adelaide
Adelaide
Sydney
Sydney
Hunter Valley
Hunter Valley
Melbourne