We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice beach towns in N.S.W.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
825 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Nice beach towns in N.S.W.

We're doing a road trip from Brisbane to Southern Victoria and back in late August/ September.

We'll go down through Armidale, Katoomba, Yass, Beechworth, Yarra Valley, Inverloch and Lakes Entrance then make our way up the N.S.W. coast home. We've booked accommodation at all the places I've mentioned, but I'm at a loss about which are the nicest places to stay coming up the coast after Lakes Entrance.

We'll have 8 nights to spend in 4 places, preferably with about the same driving distance between each. We want to be back by the start of the September school holidays so this limits our time to spend. We don't want to stay in Port Macquarie, Coffs Harbour or Yamba as we've stayed there before.

So, where can we stay in 4 locations on the N.S.W coast, two places between the Victorian border and Sydney and two places between Sydney and Brisbane? We'll have a car and would prefer places close to the beach for walks.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,483 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice beach towns in N.S.W.

I like Nambucca Heads. The white albatross holiday park's cabins are right on the beach & are little gems IMO. Good bistro on site, lovely walks, golf club.

At the Victorian end, have a look at Merimbula.

Looks like a great trip.

Oz
Level Contributor
13,120 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice beach towns in N.S.W.

Hi,

Eden and Uladulla south of Sydney, Forster and Wolli north of Sydney.

Cheers,

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice beach towns in N.S.W.

I like them all, although the White Albatross, Nambucca was a favourite of ours when our daughter was growing up, great park, cabins, position and at the entry to the park a tavern.

Southern NSW - our favourites are, Tathra, Bermagui, Ulladulla and Kiama.

Northern NSW - Tea Gardens, Scott's Head, Crescent Head, Nambucca and Yamba/Angourie.

Safe travels - Robert

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice beach towns in N.S.W.

My favorites in the south are Twofold Bay and Tathra

In the north you're spoiled for choice. Hungry Head, Woolgoolga and Evans Head are great. But I still have a sodt spot for Byron.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,539 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice beach towns in N.S.W.

Southern NSW - Mollymook (there are motels there + golf course by the sea) and Bawley Point (but no motels)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,492 posts
1,583 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice beach towns in N.S.W.

Hi,

Byron Bay / Crescent Head - Hat Head

Bermagui & Hyams Beach (Jervis Bay)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
825 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice beach towns in N.S.W.

Thanks Everyone

You've given me some ideas. Now to look up hotels.

The White Albatross holiday park at Nambucca looks great. Any other recommendations for motels, cabins etc at the other places?

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice beach towns in N.S.W.

Evans Head on the Nth Coast (I would have said Yamba but you been there, done that) would be an excellent final stop. Cabins at the Holiday park or the (right next door) Bowling Club are nicer than the (only) motel in town.

You could easily detour through Byron (and do the lighthouse walk) for a few hours on the final drive, but overnight there isnt essential, unless you like partying with drunken teenagers/packbackers and paying inflated tourist meal prices.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
825 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice beach towns in N.S.W.

We've been to Byron Bay on day trips from the Gold Coast quite a few times and have done the lighthouse walk.

As far as distance from home goes, Evans Head would be good. I'm also considering Iluka. The motel gets good reviews, so could be a one night stop. We've driven in there to have a look but have never stayed.

I'm starting to think we might have a few one night stops instead of just two night stops. Less distance to drive between places and we could see more places.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,483 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice beach towns in N.S.W.

It's probably a bit too close to Melbourne for you, but Port Albert was a charming discovery a few years ago. It's just a small village but has an interesting history and a good, basic, local pub as well as a number of B & Bs.

http://m.visitvictoria.com/Regions

/gippsland/Destinations/port-albert?MobileRedirected=1