We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday ideas- NSW outback experience

Which New South Wales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dundee Scotland
Level Contributor
26 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday ideas- NSW outback experience

Hi, We are bringing our 2 teenagers/young adults back to Australia this Xmas. They lived in Sydney (with us) when they were very young (15years ago!). My husband and I have also lived/worked in Dubbo but kids have never been far west.

We would like to experience some outback- cultural and geographical

We have organised the first week or so in Sydney and are free from the 3rd Jan until 10th/11th Jan.

We have been looking at trains (discovery pass) or car hire. We are not sure how far we should go or where. We would like to see Dubbo for old times sake! Wondered about broken hill but happy not to go this far if not needed?

Thanks for your help!

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,037 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Holiday ideas- NSW outback experience

Very sad events indeed, especially the death of Mr Howard in Cobar. It was clear to us when we visited that they are a close and proud community. A great loss on community service.

I hope Mr Pippos the younger is able to rebuild, but yeah, as you say, it's very unfortunate to lose another original Greek Cafe. Not many around now, and no doubt it held many many memories for the Pippos family.

Dundee Scotland
Level Contributor
26 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Holiday ideas- NSW outback experience

Thanks to everyone for all this advice. Lightning ridge is somewhere we have been a long time ago and def would like the kids to see. Working in dubbo hospital we met many "characters" from the places you have mentioned! Btw we will be staying with friends in port Macquarie so booking hotel not a concern! Really looking forward to trip! Hoping bush fires don't cause too much of a problem.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,394 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Holiday ideas- NSW outback experience

When were you there, Scots?

I used to live not too far ( by our country standards ;)) from the Ridge. Went back a few years ago & was surprised how much it had changed & grown. A lot of the old characters still there, though.

If it's a while since you've been in the back country, be prepared to have your heart broken by what's happened to some of those formerly beautiful & thriving western towns. The Ridge is the exception.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
8,435 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Holiday ideas- NSW outback experience

Living in rural Scotland surrounded by green hills and trees I suppose we meant we are hoping to have a different experience

----------------------------------------

Getting a different experience can happen to anyone.

My grandmother was born in Dundee in 1889. When we were kids, she to would tell us stories about rolling eggs down the hill at Easter time at a place called Baldovan. She described Baldovan as beautiful and named our property in Kingsvale after it. . I managed a trip to Dundee in 1991 and of course had to see Baldovan. I was very disappointed to see it is now just a suburb of Dundee. I imagine rolling eggs down the hill at Easter time in Baldovan ceased a long time ago.

If you are seeking dry and treeless on purpose in NSW, you could visit Mungo National Park

http://www.visitmungo.com.au/

25. Re: Holiday ideas- NSW outback experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2015, 06:17