We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Coast Explore

Which New South Wales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
South Coast Explore

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are thinking if going down the South Coast over the Xmas break.

We live in Sydney and have wanted to go to mogo zoo so thought we should explore more while we are down that way.

We are thinking of going down to Narooma from Sydney and working our way back.

I like the look of Montague Island has anyone been here? Then we will stay a night then drive to mogo zoo spend the day there then stay the night.

The next day thinking to head to Jervis Bay explore Hyams Beach and stay the night.

Then explore more the next day and head back to Sydney.

Any suggestions if this would work and where to stay would be great. I know lots is booked out over this time but hopefully we can get one night here and there. :)

At my desk
Level Contributor
226 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Coast Explore

The south coast is lovely and is a great place to go over the xmas break.

Depending on when you leave, there could be a lot of holiday traffic, meaning the trip to Narooma could easily take longer than the standard 4.5 hours.

Montague Island has a seal population, making it a diving and snorkelling destination. Obviously you need to go on a boat to get out there. There are many options in town. I'm not sure if you are able to land on the island, we just dived very near to it (it was great, the seals are fantastic. We also saw whales, but this was in October).

There is kayaking at Durras Lakes, just north of Bateman's Bay which is lovely.

If you surf there are loads of options including Ulladulla and Mollymook.

Jervis Bay is great. It's also not NSW, it's part of the ACT. I recommend camping at Caves Beach, though it's cold showers only and you have to walk about 500m from the car park to get to the site. There are other sites in the area with hot water and better facilities if you are interested. I would definitely recommend snorkelling from Murrays Beach Boat Ramp heading east around the headland to the beach. It's fantastic. You'll need to bring your own snorkel and mask.

For a good pub dinner, or if you'd prefer to stay in a permanent structure Huskisson just north of Jervis is great.

If you have time, drop into Kiama and see the blowhole, but don't stress too much if you miss it.

Have a great trip!

Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: South Coast Explore

Thanks so much thats very helpful :)

Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: South Coast Explore

We are thinking now to go for more nights.

Where do you suggest we do stay and explore in terms of places and restaurants from Narooma heading back to Sydney?

We want to go to Montague Island which is near Narooma, then Batemans Bay to Mogo Zoo, then Jervis Bay to Hyams Beach etc then back to Kangaroo Valley, Kiama, Berry and maybe cut across to Bowral?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
8,612 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Coast Explore

I like the look of Montague Island has anyone been here?

-----------------------------------------------

I stayed within sight of it in January.

The view from our accommodation was the beach, the sea and Montague Island. That was as close as I got. There were boat operators waiting to take people there but they wanted something like aud $100 per person. That was too rich for me. The island has penguins and seals. We saw seals any way. The seals were relaxing on the rocks and swimming in the sea close to where families were swimming at the beach. The seals must be fairly tame as some people scrabbled over the rocks so they could take close up pictures of the seals and it didn't seem to bother the seals.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Coast Explore

Hayden's pies on the eastern side of the highway in south Ulladulla is a great place for a lunch break. Nice pies (and that comes from someone who hates bought pies)!

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South Coast Explore

Between Narooma and Sydney make a stop at Milton/Mollymook. Good eating at St Isidore's, Cuppitt's Winery, Pilgrims Cafe. Climb Mt Pigeon House, swim at Mollymook, walk Narrawallee and continue from northern end of beach around the inlet. Great markets at Milton first Saturday of the month, but check for Xmas timing. Fascinating fossils on northern side of Ulladulla harbour:

geomaps.com.au/scripts/ulladullafossilwalk.p…

Great fish and chips northern side of highway, after bridge at Burrill Lake( shop with just a counter at front). Great putt putt course at Burrill lake too.

Fab view from George Boyd lookout. Beautiful walk Merry Beach- Snapper Rocks-Pebbly Beach, return. Heaps of roos and coastal views. Do this on way from Batemans bay to Milton. George Boyd lookout is just north of Milton. Mt Pigeon House is way steep - not for those who hate heights.

mollymookbeachwaterfront.com.au/mollymook-ne…

Most scenic return route - left at Berry, proceed to KValley via Cambewarra Mountain for amazing view, continue from KV towards Moss Vale via Fitzroy Falls, Wildes Meadow,maybe lunch at Burrawang Pub ( plain food, beautiful beer garden), Robertson, then Tourist Rd for a while, right onto Range Rd and right again onto Old South Rd, picking up freeway north of Mittagong. This leaves out Bowral, but really there's not much in Bowral- it's the surrounding countryside that gorgeous. The old general store at Exeter has excellent coffee and cakes ( not on this route, but maybe you'll vary?). There's an amazing convict cut road at Meryla Pass if you're feeling energetic and want to see some convict graffiti and wonder at what went before you. It dates from the early nineteenth century when Charles Throsby discovered the first route from the on land to the coast.

7. Re: South Coast Explore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2015, 05:15