We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timing for Blue Mountains/Jenolan Caves

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
LA
Level Contributor
145 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Timing for Blue Mountains/Jenolan Caves

We're trying to figure out what time to pick up and return our rental car. We will be staying at the Four Seasons and will likely rent a car from Avis since it's walking distance from the hotel.

Our plan is to have breakfast at the hotel, drive to the Blue Mountains, check out everything there (Echo Point, 3 Sisters, walk down, etc.) We will be staying at Lilianfels.

Then the next day, we would get up early and drive to the Jenolan Caves before the ticket office opens. We're not sure how many caves we should see. Is one cave enough, or should we see 2? or 3? And then, we would drive back to Sydney.

So here are my questions. I've heard about Featherdale and Euroka Clearing. I'm not sure if our schedule allows for either of these. If it does, which one is better to see and does it make more sense to see it on the way there or on the way back. Finally, what time should we pick up our car and return our car to do everything we want to do.

Thanks!

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
551 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Timing for Blue Mountains/Jenolan Caves

Hi, I have a few words of advice on Jenolan Caves--be sure to check the times that the busses go up and down the road there (it's one way.) When we were there in 2004 the busses came up the hill at 4 I think so the road was closed to down hill traffic and they went down until noon so road was closed to up hill traffic. We wanted to leave Jenolan and so went around by Oberon which was a great drive. We stopped at the tourist place in Katoomba on the way to Sydney and went down into the valley and walked around. Then drove into Sydney at rush hour (but it wasn't too bad.) The caves were neat, I can't remember which ones we went in but I think the Orient was one. The guide wasn't too cheesy and the formations were excellent. The lodge is really great, too bad you don't have time in your schedule to stay there.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,789 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Timing for Blue Mountains/Jenolan Caves

Euroka is best done in the early am or late pm as the more Kangaroos are likely to be around.

I'd do Featherdale on the way up (if you decide) and beat the buses there.

Car Hire will be charged in 24hr increments do why not arrange PU as early as suits....return late in the day (you could give an estimate of around 8pm (try to avoid driving thru the city around 4-6pm)

For the caves not all caves open all days so you need to have think about the ones you want and how long you have...as mentioned by the previous poster the road can be one way for a large portion of the day

My fave is Jubilee but it takes around 2 hours but I notice it's no longer on the visit list????

Temple of Baal is also worth a visit

sydney,aust.
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Timing for Blue Mountains/Jenolan Caves

Make an effort to get away early to avoid city moring peak traffic.

Visit euroka on the way up...get a coffee at the glenbrook bakery and have morning tea with the roos.

Do one cave at Jenolan. You seen one limstone cave you seen the lot.

Visit govetts leap and the small national park hq at blackheath on the way back. Also visit featherdale on the way back.

you are probably looking at being back in sydney at say 7.30 pm.

sydney
Level Contributor
55 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Timing for Blue Mountains/Jenolan Caves

The jenolan caves site is http://www.jenolancaves.org.au/

They have updated their ticketting so you get a basic ticket that includes 2 caves. You no longer can go in to see a single cave.

The drive from Katoomba to Jenolan is around 1 hour 20 minutes with the last 20 minutes extremely windy and in most cases single lane. The one way down starts at 11am (you cannot leave Jenolan until 1pm using this direct route although there is an alternative route that is around 30 minutes longer).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Timing for Blue Mountains/Jenolan Caves

You can prebook the caves on line which is what we did when we took English visitors in February and we noticed by the middle of the day, a number of tours were booked out but we were there on a weekend, so if possible, go during the week

We did 4 caves over 2 days but I agree with Guruswife, the temply of baal was my favourite and the most memorable, the others I can vaguely remember various bits but I can just about picture the whole of the Temple of Baal, truly amazing and they have a small light and music show to demonstrate the caves and it was magical, I could have stayed there all day

Abbey

6. Re: Timing for Blue Mountains/Jenolan Caves

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 10:20