We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help - very limited time in sydney (just 2 nights)

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
213 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
help - very limited time in sydney (just 2 nights)

just 2 nights in sydney - suggestions

hi, a friend and i have just 2 nights in sydney before joining a tour with connections travel, we will definatly go and see the bridge and the opera house (i would love to climb the bridge but dont think i have the guts to do it!!)

but if you only had 2 nights there what else would you say would be a must do in that short space of time, is there any hop on/hop off tour busses that we could go on to see the "main sites".

we are staying at the wake up hostel, are both 25, fairly active, and love animals and theatre, so we would definatly be interested in anything to do with that, and any other suggestions would be greatfully received

thanks

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
213 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help - very limited time in sydney (just 2 nights)

forgot to add the 2 days we will be in sydney (incase it has an effect on what attractions etc are on are 16th September (Thursday) we land at 6.25am, and the tour stars at 8 am on Saturday august 18th.

also i understand that the musical pricilla queen of the desert is on in sydney, what would the chances of getting tickets when we are in sydney, or is it better to buy them before we leave the uk???

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help - very limited time in sydney (just 2 nights)

Considering jet lag and general fatigue after a long trip (We arrived home Wednesday from Zurich and I haven't managed to get up before 10 am yet, being wide awake at 3 in the morning), I think you shoud just plan to chill out. You want to start your tour fresh too, and not exhausted. Why not just wander around the Harbour foreshore, taking in the OH, Bridge, Botanic Gardens; at Darling Harbour there is the Sydney Aquarium and a new mini zoo; or take the ferry over to Taronga Zoo and enjoy the animals while you walk down the hill and take in the magnificent views. In fact take a ferry just about anywhere for lovely views and wind on the face - just what you need after that flight. For Priscilla, check out ticketek.com.au, the main booking agency here.

Have a great time.

Have a great time

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help - very limited time in sydney (just 2 nights)

The bridge climb isn't that scary at all! It is a really gradual walk and is the best way to see sydney. If you do it you won't regret it!

Oldham, United...
Level Contributor
299 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help - very limited time in sydney (just 2 nights)

I would second taking it easy.

When I arrived in Sydney from Manchester I was miserable and tired for nearly 2 days until i realised i was jetlagged and found some caffiene tablets :o)

Walking around the harbour in this state was very surreal, but didn't involve much effort, which was good.

I think I managed the IMAX on my first night, but i fell asleep half way through the film!!

The Zoo makes for great views, is a good walk and is an excellent zoo if you're into that kinda thing.

A ferry round the harbour (or to Manly maybe) is quite easy going, and there is a hop on hop off bus, http://www.city-sightseeing.com/ which could be a good idea to get a feel for the area in such a short amount of time!!

Bridge Climb was great (I am doing it again this year). There's no guts involved really as you are on a very solid structure all the way up and it's more than worth it.

Have fun

Shelley

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help - very limited time in sydney (just 2 nights)

getting a bit off the topic, but re jetlag, my French sister-in-law (ex-Aussie) says sun on the back of the knees after your flight helps to adjust your circadian rhythm...not to the point of burning of course!! Can't say I've tried it, but have to say her other 'natural' therapies do work so maybe woth a try (and if a day like today, out of the wind, would be no hardship anyway).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help - very limited time in sydney (just 2 nights)

I believe priscilla finishes on the 2nd September. miss saigon will be on when you are here. To check out shows check www.ticketmaster.com.au or www.ticketek.com.au

London
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: help - very limited time in sydney (just 2 nights)

Hi,

I'm not sure what area in Sydney that Hostel is but here's a few thoughts.

For animal lovers, Taronga zoo or the Sydney Aquarium are good, or featherdale wildlife park is further out of town but has more of a focus on native animals. Taronga may have just as many but I confess I haven't been there, but my 18th old niece reliably informs me that she saw crocodiles there the other day.

It's the harbour and bushland I miss, so why not take a ferry ... anywhere! Manly is a tradition in our family. You get off the ferry, walk to the other end and have fish and chips on the beach. There are some gorgeous walks around headlands. There's one that runs south from Bondi Beach, past Tamarama to Bronte Beach, then you can get a bus back to town. There's a good one around cremorne point too. The Botanical Gardens are lovely and you can enter just past the Opera House, continuing Harbour-side up to Mrs MacQuarie's chair which has gorgeous views back towards the Opera House and Harbour bridge. Very romantic but that's another story.

If you're there on the weekend, the Rocks area is very lively - an excellent market and interesting shops with live entertainment and alfresco dining - a great buzz, but I guess it's winter at the moment (not too cold, though).

Have a great time in my city!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help - very limited time in sydney (just 2 nights)

Hi

Unless there is more than one wake up hostel in Sydney I walked past it on the way to the bus at Central station. Took the long way round when I exited the station at the southern end and walked round the block up to the buses opposite UTS. Its address is the corner of Pitt St and George St.

The hop on hop off bus or sydney explorer takes in 27 sites for $39.Check out www.sydneypass.info/sydneyexplorer Your Sydney Explorer ticket also allows you free travel on all regular Sydney Buses within the Sydney Explorer circular route up to midnight on the same day (excluding travel over the Harbour Bridge), it also entitles you to travel on the Bondi Explorer.

huntington beach...
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help - very limited time in sydney (just 2 nights)

you have plenty of time to do everything you want...the zoo is great and the ferry ride over is just long enough that there is no need to go on a longer ride...

you only mentioned "activities that involve seeing sites"...are you interested in interacting with the natives for a little night life? There are some lively bars around town...some with live music...some with slot machines...some with the trendy set...

i feel i walked the entire city and saw a lot...i really enjoyed stopping to talk to the shopkeepers...so nice...

i believe that any city can be "done" in 24 hours...you have twice that! i suggest you take time to enjoy mingling with "people"--you can learn a lot more about the culture and history this way and save yourself the cost of a tour book.

enjoy!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: help - very limited time in sydney (just 2 nights)

^^ I agree with bikingirl. 48 hours in your case is an excellent starting point...let's hope you'll be back some day for more but nonetheless you can get a heap done in the limited time you've got. My most recent short stop over in Sydney (admittedly not after a day long flight!) was spent solely walking around, eating locally and on the water taking ferries here there and everywhere!

We did a big walk from the CBD through Hyde Park, out to Wollomoloo past Macquaries cvhair, thru Botanic Gdns, past opera House, over Bridge, down near Luna Park and back again through the Rocks area. Then ferry to Zoo & walked to Balmoral Beach for fish n chips and a rest!

I particularly like catching the ferry out to Parramatta and back to Circular Quay (all in all nearly 2 hours on the water) to see it all with minimal effort and time esp. if you're tired and/or jetlagged.