We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Value for New Year's Eve ... Cruise?

M Z
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Best Value for New Year's Eve ... Cruise?

Hey all -

Coming back to Sydney for New Year's, trying to figure out the best value for NYE. Thinking of one of the Sydney Harbour cruises (Bass and Flinders in particular - http://www.bassflinders.com.au/newyearseve.htm) and am wondering what people think.

Is a cruise the best? If so, what's a decent, nice boat at a reasonable price?

Other options?

Thanks!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,346 posts
1,514 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Value for New Year's Eve ... Cruise?

The only one I know which is reasonable is the Bennelong.

http://www.bennelong.net.au/

TA member Sydneywhalewatcher knows most about the boats, you could message him for more info if he doesn't respond to this post.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Value for New Year's Eve ... Cruise?

Hi there, the Sydney Fireworks over the harbour are great, so if you do decide to do a cruise it's worth considering how you back to your accommodation once the cruise is over.

Depending on where you're staying it can be quite a challenge. Many of the streets are closed to traffic (crowd control due to fireworks), so many of the taxis can't get to the masses. If you're staying any where outside of the CBD be prepared to walk - a lot!

Many of cruises finish after the fireworks so 12.30 -1 .30am This is too late for trains and buses are so packed you're lucky to get on.

This is from personal experience we didn't plan ahead and had to walk half way home and I live 10 kms from the city! Add alcohol to the mix and it takes it's toll.

If you're staying in the city - this is a mute point and I'm sure that others will have lots of suggestions for you. Either way I hope you have a great time while you're in Sydney.

sydney
Level Contributor
386 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Value for New Year's Eve ... Cruise?

hi,

well I think Bass and Flinders are pretty good;) but since thats us, best not to just take my word for it.

if you haven't already read this one, have a look:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255060-i122-k1018…

its a rundown on the market, and a request for recommends.

After making sure the boat you are looking at have good position and viewing for the fireworks,the next most important thing, considering you are spending this amount of money is to make sure you pick a boat thats not only value, but has the sort of atmosphere you are after..young singles party, couples, older couples/family , formal, etc..

on reasonable price, I think its about $400 -700 depending on the package. Cheaper boats are available, but as with anything you always get what you pay for.

London, England
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Value for New Year's Eve ... Cruise?

Is the Bennelong cruise part of the special parade of lights? If not, then $450 does sound quite pricey, if it is, then i guess it's quite a good deal.

sydney,aust.
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Value for New Year's Eve ... Cruise?

hey sydneywhalewatcher...

did your cruise the other day with relatives from adelaide....very good...sure beat whale watching at victor harbour.

seemed to me the other boats followed your lead.

sydney
Level Contributor
386 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Value for New Year's Eve ... Cruise?

thanks jacko thats great, glad you had a good time.

7. Re: Best Value for New Year's Eve ... Cruise?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 22:19