We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Express Buses

Greater London...
Level Contributor
463 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Express Buses

When I was last in Australia (some years ago) you could get an Airport Express Bus (number 300) that went from the airport to Circular Quay - or thereabouts - via Wynyard station etc (down George Street I think). Does this service still oeparte or has it gone out of buisness since the AirportLink train started?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Express Buses

Hi Hallyboy,

I just did a quick search on the Sydney Transport Info site (www.131500.com.au) and wasn't able to find a timetable for that bus route. It was a quick search....

While searching I also found 2 more sites you might find useful.

…uow.edu.au/research/NSLabs/acisp03/travel/T…

contains all information relating to transport into and around Sydney Airport.

Also the site of an airport shuttle that might be easier than using the train because you have to navigate stairs with luggage and some people find it a pain.

http://www.cityshuttle.com.au/

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Express Buses

I remember that bus well... a green one, if I recall, when all the other Sydney buses were blue. No, the cretins took it off the market about three or four years ago, for reasons which are quite unfathomable and probably indescribably stupid (we do things like that in Sydney... I recall a few years ago there was an alternative number to the current 131500 which you could ring for train and bus information, and the alternative was a little better and faster; but one day it was suddenly history, and when I inquired why, I got the answer (in a strong Cornish accent, which somehow seemed appropriate) "Oh, we had to close it down.... people were using it too much!" )

Anyway, you have some easy alternatives. If you take the subway to Bondi Junction Station, the bus interchange above the station has a stand for Bus 400, which goes (frequently) to both the international and domestic terminals. It's not an express, however, and it will take you at least half an hour.... but it is very cheap, as it's a normal commuter (blue) bus.

Or, there are various shuttle services doing the route. Probably an easy way to catch one of these is simply to wander down Pitt Street towards Central Station; in the block after you cross Goulburn Street there are several backpacker places, and they have signs out the front saying something like "Aiport Express Shuttle... $10 one way... ask at desk".

If you want to spend a bit more than that, there is always the train, which probably didn't serve the airport when you were last in town. I don't know how much it costs nowadays -- the surcharge imposed has always been a contentious issue for us locals, who don't want to be treated like tourists with unlimited funds and no knowledge of "real" prices -- but I know it's far more than it''s worth; however, it IS fast, if not as frequent as it was when it first opened (it has, apparently, been losing money steadily).

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Express Buses

i think the nsw gov took the airport express bus out of service as a "sweetener" for the private company that operated the private stations on the airport line. this was supposed to force people onto the rail. but it was cheaper for two to share a taxi into town. i think the original private operator has gone bust or at least sold the business.

trains from the city to the airport stations are around $14 a single i think.

city rail shows the price of a ticket from the domestic terminal to the international to be the same but someone corrected this on a previous forum to say that the private operator has a concession fare of around $5 between the two.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
463 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Express Buses

Many thanks to all responders.

I thought this service might have gone because my fairly recent (2005) guide book does not mention it. whereas an earler version did. It's a bit worrying that there are still a number of websites that come high up on a general Sydney Google search that still do mention it!

I'm quite happy to take the train - we are staying close to Wynyard station - but I will investigate the links provided and see what shuttle services are available also as door to door is obviously easier.

I'm posting another question - all comments welcome

5. Re: Airport Express Buses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 10:19