We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opal diggers

bure
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Opal diggers

Where, near Sydney can I find some opal diggers mines? If not close to Sydney, where would you recommend to go and find them?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
791 posts
657 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opal diggers

There are a lot of opal retailers in and around Sydney, but you won't find any opal mines anywhere close to Sydney. Nearest mines are probably at Lightning Ridge which is maybe 8-9hrs drive non-stop.

Best known opal areas in Oz are Lightning Ridge, Coober Peedy and Quilpie region - none are easily accessible from Sydney

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
507 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opal diggers

Sorry Bure

The only opal mines in NSW are in Lightning Ridge and White Cliffs - both are a very long way from Sydney. As already mentioned, there are a lot of opal retailers in Sydney and some have bins where you can go through the potch and hope to find something worthwhile.

Lightning Ridge is a great trip - but not something you would consider on a short visit unless opal mines are your true love.

bure
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Opal diggers

Thank you all, for infos! I'll browse the net, and try to find something. Thanks again.

My next question would be: Where is the nearest Aboriginal village or town where I can really see traditional aboriginal life and experience their culture. Maybe even participate in some traditional Aboriginal events?

Thx all!

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
507 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opal diggers

Bure - you love the tough questions!

There are large urban Aboriginal communities in both Redfern and La Perouse - both of which are very close to the city, but not really tourist centres. If your time is limited catch the bus out to La Perouse on a Sunday and you can watch great snake displays and some boomerang throwing. There are also usually displays of local shellwork and you can chat with the local Indigenous people about their culture. You can also visit the La Perouse museum and enjoy a great lunch at the Boatshed.

If you have more time head down to somewhere like Narooma for a less urban Aboriginal experience. See about-australia.com/travel-guides/… south-coast/attractions/aboriginal-torres-strait/umbarra-aboriginal-cultural-centre-and-tours/ for more details. This is around 3 1/2 hours drive from Sydney. (Sorry - remove space before south - had to add to fit in TA word length)

To experience the Indigenous culture you may be imagining in a remote community head out the the Northern Territory and spend a couple of days in a wonderful community like Manyallaluk near Katherine.

sydney,aust.
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Opal diggers

Bure..

you might consider a REX flight sydney-broken hill. Take a few days and check out..

Broken Hill

Mutwintji National park (take the aboriginal tour to the artwork)

White Cliffs (stay underground and buy some opal)

A sheep station on the Darling (say Trilby)

The aborigiinal situation in Wilcannia

In sydney i recommend the aboriginal exhibit at the australian museum and the free guided tour of aboriginal art at he nsw art gallery at 11.00 am each day.

6. Re: Opal diggers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 17:19