We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from syndey to brisbane

singapore
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
driving from syndey to brisbane

hi,

i will be free for 5-6 days in sydney from 17th to 22th dec. i decided to drive with my friend to brisbane after hearing wonderful stories.

But i will like to know more on car hire.

Which company which i approach?

whats the cost like?

i plan to drive to brisbane and take a flight back to sydney.What do you think?

i have read up on elly recommendation in driving from sydney to brisbane.But there are so many places to visit.

So which places do i stop for accomodation?

Do i need to book early like now?

cos i need to know how many days i will spend driving, so that i can book my flight bk to brisbane.

Anyone has any idea the estimated days spend?

will the price be good if i book my flight last minute?

during the christmas holidays, is there any celebration which i can join in sydney?

are shops open?

is there christmas countdown?

What can i do during the holidays?

Does this apply to New year Eve as well?

Thanks for everyone's help in advance!!

Parramatta...
Level Contributor
394 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from syndey to brisbane

Hi,

So many questions!

1. As you'll be travelling during the start of the end of year/summer school holidays I would definitely book everything as soon as you can.

2. There are two main routes from Sydney to Brisbane. The coastal (Princes Highway) or inland via Armidale & Tamworth (New England). What your interests are will determine where you want to stay & for how long. If you are tough enough you can do the drive in around 12 hours however it's best to stop somewhere overnight to break up the drive. Byron Bay is a fair way north but is extremely popular with just about everyone you may wish to base yourself here for a couple of days.

check out the VisitNSW website for more ideas.

http://www.visitnsw.com.au/ and remember you may wish to leave some time to see Brisbane.

3. Each year in Sydney the Carols by Candlelight are staged at the Domain. This is a friendly, easy going celebration. Bring a mat & picnic & tune up your vocal cords to sing along. It is free.

wcities.com/en/record/,80482/83/record.html

this address shows what else is happening around Christmas time …nsw.gov.au/WhatsOn/…

4. Generally speaking all major department stores will close Christmas Eve around 5pm & will be closed Xmas Day & Boxing Day. this address shows the major Sydney shopping centres.

…nsw.gov.au/sydney-shopping/default.html

I'll have to defer your questions about car hire & flights to someone with better knowledge than I - sorry.

Happy travels! :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,346 posts
1,514 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving from syndey to brisbane

I would certainly have ALL accommodation booked if planning to drive the coastal route from Sydney to Brisbane.

The common places to stop are >

1. Day one drive to Port Macquarie. Stay overnight.- approx 5hrs.

2. day two drive PM - Crescent Head -

2.day two drive CH via Hat Head to Coffs Harbour - stay day/night 2 - 3hrs

3. Drive Coffs Harbour to Byron Bay - stay overnight. approx 3hrs

4. drive Byron Bay via coast road to Coolangatta / Gold Coast- stay approx 1.5hrs.

have 2 days in Byron Bay or the Gold Coast.

drive Gold Coast to Brisbane - one hour drive or just drop the car off at Coolangatta and get the plane back to Sydney than driving to Brisbane.

Normal car hire companies are avis, budget. thrifty, europcar.

Book your airfare in advance to avoid any disappointment. Plus, there are some good deals going on at the moment.

Domestic airlines - qantas, jetstar, virgin blue.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving from syndey to brisbane

as someone who currently lives in brisbane, but used to live in sydney (and thankfully i'm back in brisbane) - we used to do the "long drive' as we called it, in about 12 hours, several times a year. and i would NEVER - DO - IT - AGAIN!!!. i don't suppose anyone has mentioned the cost of petrol? or the roo's? or glen innes?? ok, seriously, why did you choose to drive from sydney to brisbane? its over 900kms and there can be patches (esp the new england highway) where there is NOTHING. we wouldn't do the pacific highway because every time we even thought about driving on it there were so many accidents and therefore delays. if you want to see some scenery, fair enough, and the websites previous bloggers have mentioned are the ones i would have mentioned too. but if not, i would honestly recommend looking for some cheap flights (best flights on the web is excellent) and spending more time in sydney and brisbane. you won't save any money by driving, and the accommodation along that route isn't all that salubrious. there are places you could visit i suppose, but to be honest, i can't remember anything really gee wow that i would write home to be folks about. both sydney and brisbane have so many things you can do all within a day of the capital area and at christmas time the roads, quite frankly, can be a little nutty. have horrid memories of getting stuck behind caravans and trucks for ages through the new england highway. blech.

christmas usually involves staying cool and there are some lovely restaurants and pubs to relax in, not to mention the beaches. at new years there'll be fireworks everywhere - watching them on the beach is something else.

if it was me, i'd get a couple of cheap flights, spend money finding somewhere nice on the coast near brisbane and sydney, explore the city and surrounds, and wave to everyone as you fly over them on the new england or pacific highway.

singapore
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: driving from syndey to brisbane

i am from singapore.

not sure if i shld do driving.

sound like a bad experience.

is the petrol going to be very expensive?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,346 posts
1,514 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving from syndey to brisbane

"i decided to drive with my friend to Brisbane after hearing wonderful stories."

These are your words, we have given you appropriate advice regarding your question.

Do say now, your NOT driving ???

singapore
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: driving from syndey to brisbane

oh,

i dont mean that.

cos this is my first trip, so felt confused after reading reddy comments.

was quite surprised.

hope you dont be offended.i appreciate the help given to me.

wanted to clarify.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,346 posts
1,514 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving from syndey to brisbane

Reddy,

you could give anyone a bloody headache with your post !

You do have to remember that we are talking to tourists......whom have never seen Australia.

I like it too, so Luvk...it's all apart of the unique coastal journey.

I highly recommend you see this stretch of Australian Coastline.

Although, Reddy's comments are uniquely Australian.(no offence).

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: driving from syndey to brisbane

The drive from Sydney to Brisbane along the Pacific highlight (ie. not the New England Highway) can be really interesting. The road is quite a high standard for most of the way so driving isnt too stressful. There are also lots of great places to stop, most of which have some great beaches.

Places I would recommend:

Coffs Harbour

Port Macquarie

Mooball (a very small town where everything is cow themed)

Byron Bay

Forster

Surfers Paradise

If you stayed a night at each of those, you could have a comfortable holiday with about 2.5hrs of driving a day - giving you time to go to the beach, go bushwalking, relax at cafes and looking at local attractions

According to google maps, that is 980km, which means for an average car about 98L of petrol would be needed, costing about $125. Car hire will probably set you back another $50-$70 a day, meaning a total cost of about $450.

Alternatively, you could take the train - a 14 day pass costs $230 and you can get on and off whenever you like. The train goes up the north coast about 3 times of those but only 1 of those extends beyond grafton to brisbane - the pass also includes use of countrylink coaches which run from train stations to the coastal town of byron bay and also to surfers paradise. The pass also includes a free sydney public transport one day pass, and also a return ticket to the blue mountains. See www.countrylink.info

derby
Level Contributor
99 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: driving from syndey to brisbane

My husband and I drove from Sydney to Brisbane in August. We had 6 days and I have to say, it was probably our favourite time of our holiday in Australia. I completely disagree with the flying comment - you get to see so much more when you're driving and we personally thought that the roads were excellent. Although there were road works, it didn't seem to hold up the traffic at all and the Pacific Highway, although there appears to be 'nothing', as a tourist from the UK, everything is something. The price of petrol will probably be higher than in Singapore, but it was certainly cheaper than the UK. I can't comment on accommodation as we had a camper van (probably had annoyed people behind us!!). We went to the Blue Mountains first, which is obviously out of your way, then on to Port Maquarie, Byron Bay, Coollangatta. We actually then drove north of Brisbane and stayed on the coast near Moollollaba. We didn't bother visiting Brisbane - from a country with many cities, we figured we would rather see the amazing coast line instead. hope this helps - drive it was amazing.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: driving from syndey to brisbane

well ellemay, the post wasn't for your benefit, i was giving my honest opinion to someone who asked for advice, and i did as someone who has done this drive many times. i personally am a bit reluctant to advise someone who has never been to this country before to attempt a 1000km drive.

it was bad enough when my husband got lost only a couple of minutes down the road from where i grew up overseas - it took us an hour to find it because the roads had changed, and i sort of had an idea where we were! my husband is an excellent driver and hardly ever ever gets lost., that was the only time he ever attempted to drive overseas. he said never again. many tourists have no idea about the vastness of australia, even my relatives overseas thought we would stay overnight for the 2 hour drive to my old home town! most people i know who have been overseas have been happy to see the sights, and say that they will hire a car for the second time round as they know where they are going, the road rules, costs, petrol etc.

this forum, i thought, was for people to share their thoughts and advice. i did try to make it MY personal opinion, as i am sure yours is.

like i said, the post i made wasn't for your benefit , it was to provide advice for another person who asked for it. advice is just that, its not a rule to do it hard and fast. there are many opinions on this website and i respect them all.

luvk, i am sure whatever you will do, you will enjoy this lovely country, i was just passing on my personal opinion, which i thought this forum was for.