We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Number 1 hotel in sydney

Europe
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Topic
Number 1 hotel in sydney

Can anyone tell me what is the Number 1 hotel in Sydney, I know lots of you are going to have different views on what is number 1 so everyones opinion is welcome - but if any one can officaly tell me what is the Number 1 really is - I would appreciate it

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,054 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Number 1 hotel in sydney

As for official...in any year a different hotel has topped the list...

Shangri La has had honours, Conde Naste in 2004 gave it to Four Seasons, i think Australian luxury traveller had Sheraton on the Park at one stage

Sydney
Level Contributor
361 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Number 1 hotel in sydney

Because the hotels with the best service and/or fitout may not have the best views (and views may be a big part of the Sydney experience) there isn't really a hotel that stands out as an undisputed number 1. None of us could "officially" tell you, but most of us regular contributors are believers in peer review, and the most "official" recommendation you'll get is from this site's reviews.

From that you'd have to say that the Observatory and Four Seasons are the tops. Both are pretty good, but the Observatory certainly doesn't have spectacular views and you have to make absolutely sure you have the right room in the Four Seasons to enjoy a harbour view.

Also, your style preference would have a big bearing. Personally, I think that the W hotel on the Woolloomooloo finger wharf is pretty darn cool and is a stunning location, but it doesn't have panoramic views and is a 10-15 minute walk into the city centre.

mpe
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Number 1 hotel in sydney

I believe at the recent hotel industry awards, Intercontinental Sydney took out an award as did The Observatory Sydney. Mr personal favourity is Four Seasons Sydney - great views, junior suites overlooking th eharbour are the best and they have an excellent gym / spa facility as well.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Number 1 hotel in sydney

dpeur -- if you find out please let us all know. I have searched and researched and have concluded just this: there are no perfect hotels in Sydney. Unlike other cities where most people agree on #1 Hotels -- this city seems to be lacking that unanimous decision. We too are hoping to find a luxury, clean, well maintained hotel for September. A place with great beds, baths, service. Thinking this may not exist.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
11 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Number 1 hotel in sydney

As you said everyone has different opinion, here's mine.

There is Park Hyatt on the waterfront opposite the Opera House, a great hotel if you like to be just a bit secluded. If you prefer to stay right in the middle of things, The Westin Sydney.

Cheers Hans Sander, Australian Travel Services

Sydney
Level Contributor
361 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Number 1 hotel in sydney

Not sure that I quite agree with Simon's Mum here. There are no shortage of luxury hotels with great beds and good service in Sydney. Unfortunately, living here, we expect all of this (which may be ALL you expect in most cities) along with sensational harbour views.

As you've probably gathered, you can get this. The Four Seasons, Shangri La, Park Hyatt and Quay Grand all offer these, provided you make sure that your room faces the right way. There are a number of other highly recommended hotels which would be WAY up there in other cities because of service and style but aren't quite as sensationally located. The Observatory, W Hotel, etc come into that category. They are outstanding but lack the iconic views.

So you shouldn't be worried that there is no consensus on a single "best" hotel. Rather be pleased that there are a fair number of excellent choices any of which would suit even a jaded traveller.

I LOVE staying in Sydney (I live about 90 mins north, so stay for weekends very regularly) and try out almost all of the decent hotels - I'm rarely disappointed despite being rather pernickerty.

Sydney
Level Contributor
361 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Number 1 hotel in sydney

Not sure that I quite agree with Simon's Mum here. There are no shortage of luxury hotels with great beds and good service in Sydney. Unfortunately, living here, we expect all of this (which may be ALL you expect in most cities) along with sensational harbour views.

As you've probably gathered, you can get this. The Four Seasons, Shangri La, Park Hyatt and Quay Grand all offer these, provided you make sure that your room faces the right way. There are a number of other highly recommended hotels which would be WAY up there in other cities because of service and style but aren't quite as sensationally located. The Observatory, W Hotel, etc come into that category. They are outstanding but lack the iconic views.

So you shouldn't be worried that there is no consensus on a single "best" hotel. Rather be pleased that there are a fair number of excellent choices any of which would suit even a jaded traveller.

I LOVE staying in Sydney (I live about 90 mins north, so stay for weekends very regularly) and try out almost all of the decent hotels - I'm rarely disappointed despite being rather pernickerty.

Sydney
Level Contributor
361 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Number 1 hotel in sydney

Sorry about the double post.... slow technology and too quick fingers.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Number 1 hotel in sydney

Iam sorry, OnThePoint, I hope I didn't sound like a jaded traveler -- because I am not. I am certain that Sydney has gorgeous hotels with magnificent views, something we can not necessarily offer here (Los Angeles). It's just curious that everytime we "finally" decide on a hotel, we read a post or a traveler's review that is rather negative. As people, we just need to agree that we can disagree...as the saying goes. But we are all very excited -- this is our first trip to Australia and just trying to be thoughtfull in all the planning details.

Sydney
Level Contributor
361 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Number 1 hotel in sydney

I didn't intend to appear upset, Simon'sMom. Your point is well made.... you'll always find someone who has some negative experience even in a great place. I feel slightly guilty here since I recently relayed a poor experience at the Park Hyatt, but I should point out that the hotel did deal with it professionally and our friends had a great time once it was sorted.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time here, its a great city even in the winter.