We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney New Year's Eve 2005/06

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
712 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Sydney New Year's Eve 2005/06

Here's one for you Sydney Siders....a little help please

I am trying to assist some good friends with their travel plans for NYs Eve in Sydney - I have access to the larger commercial harbour cruises that are offering NYs Eve packages, but they are all larger boats with 100++ guests and charging well over $500A per person for a 5-6 hr evening...some with a meal, some not.

Would appreciate any info you may have including the web site or link to contact them.

Thanks all very much

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney New Year's Eve 2005/06

I suspect that those prices are the prices you are going to have to pay; the public ferries are all berthed a couple of hours beforew the fireworks start, and don't start up again until after they finish. I don't know of any smaller outfits that run New Year's Cruises, but if there are such places, the prices are likely to be around the same.

The ones that don't have a meal may actually be the best bet if there is a reduction on those grounds, as I have never heard a good word about the food on these harbour cruises!

You say you have access to the larger companies, so exactly what are you asking for the websites of?

Whatever you are planning, my advice would be not to tarry, as this is "the" big night in Sydney, and demand for hotels, cruises, and even a place to stand is high.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,158 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney New Year's Eve 2005/06

I spent ages researching from UK over the internet about New Years Eve cruises. My son wanted to surprise his girlfriend with a NYE cruise for her Xmas present last Xmas. The trouble is the small boats looked rather cramped and grotty and the huge boats cost a fortune. He ended up going with Captain Cook cruises- not cheap and one of the top ones but the most fantastic unforgettable experience! Also there were plenty of cruises still left in December at the top end of the range. We booked our own one (hubby and I) at one days notice this year! - also Captain Cook. We had fantastic food, open bar, a beautiful ship and a perfect view of the fireworks!

Sydney
Level Contributor
361 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney New Year's Eve 2005/06

We've recently bought a function boat to work out of Hardys Bay in Brisbane Waters. I'm not running it, Hardys Bay Yacht Charters (www.hbyc.com.au) are. Reason we bought it was exactly yours.... we knew that lots of people want to do stuff on boats (functions, weddings, parties etc) but don't need to have the space for 100+, where it starts to get much less intimate.

The Banjo Patterson II is a 1949-built boat which is licenced and is in survey for 50 people. It is being renovated (from an already pretty reasonable condition) to service the boutique end of the market (nice lighting, sit down dinners etc). For something like NYE I would guess that they would do 30-35 tops to give more space.

I don't think they have any plans yet for NYE so you could give them a call (number on the website). They normally only work Brisbane Waters (18 nautical miles north of Sydney) but would almost certainly be thinking about bringing the Banjo down for NYE.

There is a party on the boat tonight so I will ask the operator what he was planning on.

Level Contributor
712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney New Year's Eve 2005/06

Thank you all very much - Yes, I remember Banjo Patterson and it WAS a lovely boat! Looked her up, then recalled we had used a lovely sailing vessel, The Sydney Sundancer so I contacted them and they have a few spots left (holding only 50). Smaller boat just like my friends wanted, and makes me want to make the journey to do NYs Eve in Sydney again.....just can't get enough. Will watch Banjo Patterson when she comes back on the market as I am occassionally looking for charter boats in the area.

Sydney
Level Contributor
361 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney New Year's Eve 2005/06

That's good about Sundancer.

The party was sensational, the whole boat was dancing and the food was great, so much so that 3 of the families talked to the operator to do NYE for them privately.

The Banjo will be doing charters out of Hardys Bay (Brisbane Water) and the Pittwater rather than the main harbour. Beautiful up there, by the way, and there's a new Outrigger all-suite hotel opening up at Ettalong Beach this month.