We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bridge Climb - all the way or half

NJ
14 posts
Save Topic
Bridge Climb - all the way or half

I've been reading that you can walk half way up the brigde for $8 or do the whole bridge climb for $240 - any one have suggestions on what to do?

Sydney
Level Contributor
361 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bridge Climb - all the way or half

You're referring to walking up the Pylon Lookout. See www.pylonlookout.com.au for more details on this. $8.50 gives you a great view, but it is nothing like being on top of the coathanger straddling the magnificent harbour. Contrast with www.bridgeclimb.com for the bridge.

It is a good alternative if finances are a little stretched, but having done both, I'd thoroughly recommend the bridge climb (which the real connoisseurs suggest to do around sunset).

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,897 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bridge Climb - all the way or half

There was a time when the Pylon lookout was the ONLY thing you could do on the bridge except to walk across it at road level, so, naturally, people used to flock up there to get just that little bit higher to admire the view. In fact, there isn't all that much difference between the view from the pylon and the view from the roadway.... hence the pylon only costs $AUD8.50.

Now that the bridge climb has opened up, and is a great tourist draw, the Pylon lookout has sort of fallen out of favour; it doesn't have the big "production values" of the climb, which requires you to wear special clothes, attach yourself to a cable, and pass a set of physical requirements. All of this, of course, adds to the prestige, and hence the cost of the climb, which is pretty exorbitant (although I confess I have never heard of it going as high as $AUD240.... I thought it was around $AUD130, depending on the time of day).

If you're tight for funds, I would recommend just walking across the bridge for free. The view is great, even from there, and you can take all the time you want, and then get the ferry back.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
36 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bridge Climb - all the way or half

I agree with the previous post. If you have the funds I would do the Bridge Climb. I did a twilight climb. You get both the sunset and darkness. It was amazing.

Tel
Great Yarmouth U.K
Level Contributor
670 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bridge Climb - all the way or half

Hi MsWhity.

I asked a question about the bridge climb in May.It is now on page 3 and it had 32 replies. Take a look it may be of some help to you.

Sydney
Level Contributor
361 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bridge Climb - all the way or half

I meant to mention this before. If you have broadband internet access then check out the Sydney Morning Herald site which has a video on the climb. You go to www.smh.com.au then to videos then choose the Bridge Climb one. The video on Palm Beach is pretty cool too - I keep on recommending people go up here.