We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Circular Quay from the airport?

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Circular Quay from the airport?

Hi

My parents land in Sydney on a Tuesday at 11.55am and depart 6.55am in transit from Perth WA (so luggage checked through to final destination in NZ). They would very much like to see the Opera House and have lunch somewhere nice within their time scale.

Having looked on this site I see that Circular Quay comes up as a great place to walk around the Opera House and Rocks etc.. what is the best way to get there from the airport? Are taxi's easily available or do you have to fight for them like i do in the States and UK? Is it worth me booking a car in advance to pick them up from the airport and one to drop them back?. I guess it is all logistical questions. I just don't want them to have to rush too much and actually enjoy a bit of Sydney.

Oh and a nice recommendation for somewhere lovely for lunch.. I don't mind booking ahead.

Thank you kindly

Mentioned in this post
Circular Quay
Circular Quay
3,469 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Circular Quay from the airport?

There are any number of options.

Taxi - pretty easy to get. walk outside terminal and queue up if necessary. 10 minutes is by far the longest time i've ever waited for a taxi at Sydney airport.

Train - go downstairs to the train station and get off at Circular Quay. $20.00 return each. Runs every 10 - 15 minutes

Private Hire Car - expensive, but a nice way to travel.

lunch - lots in that area. Some in opera house itself.

Mentioned in this post
Quay Restaurant
Quay Restaurant
1,805 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney Airport
Sydney Airport
Mascot, Australia
London, England
Level Contributor
2,172 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Circular Quay from the airport?

I'm no expert, but i'd say get the train, it's only about 20-30 mins from the airport to Circular Quay by train and they don't need to worry about traffic, and queuing to pick a hire car up or drop it back. We got the train to and from the airport and it was painless.

Mentioned in this post
Circular Quay
Circular Quay
3,469 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,670 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Circular Quay from the airport?

Catch a taxi right to the front door of the Opera House or The Rocks (this way direct, easy and no need to know travel directions etc for train). Then catch a taxi back to airport

Just double check which terminal the plane to Perth goes from and how the ticketing works as the airline maybe assuming your parents stay 'in transit'at the airport.

Woodford, Australia
Level Contributor
236 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Circular Quay from the airport?

They won't have a problem if they are flying on a domestic flight PER-SYD. This advice presumes this is so given the layover time you mention. (Unlikely but) if on an international flight PER-SYD please advise.

Were I going to circular quay I would get the train, as you need to navigate a lot of city traffic by taxi or (especially) bus.

your parents should have plenty of time at the quay, they can get the train from the domestic airport station (they'll arrive at terminal 2 or 3 depending who they're flying with), then catch a train back to the international station, which is the next further out from the city.

Cheers skip

Mentioned in this post
Sydney Airport
Sydney Airport
Mascot, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,893 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Circular Quay from the airport?

Train to and from. It is fastest and they can see the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge nearby as soon as they are out of the station - it is right on the ferry terminals at Circular Quay.

Lunch at the Cafe at the Museum of Contemporary Art on the western side of Circular Quay - on the terrace so they can look at the ferries and the Opera House and walk around to the Opera House later. The food is not cheap but not OTT and it is very good

Book ahead to be sure of a table on the terrace

www.culinaryedge.com.au/page/mca_cafe.html

http://www.mca.com.au/default.asp?page_id=26

Mentioned in this post
Sydney Harbour Bridge
Sydney Harbour Bridge
11,451 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Circular Quay
Circular Quay
3,469 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Museum of Contemporary Art
Museum of Contemporary...
1,017 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,090 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Circular Quay from the airport?

I'm another for the train, it will costless than half the taxi fare, deliver you to the heart of Circular Quay and at midday will be pretty empty.

I would book a lovely lunch at Cafe Sydney which is in Customs House, right behind the Quay and has harbour views of Opera House and Bridge, pricey but nicey!

I am assuming you mean 6.55pm or else they will need overnight accom as the airport closes!

Mentioned in this post
Customs House
Customs House
166 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Quay Restaurant
Quay Restaurant
1,805 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Cafe Sydney
Cafe Sydney
3,462 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
SEQ, Australia
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Circular Quay from the airport?

Taxi to CQ at that time of day would be about $35.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Circular Quay from the airport?

I agree with Faux that the MCA is a very nice spot for lunch weather permitting. Don't know about the booking as we had it all to ourselves in December...not one other soul out there (on the terrace)!

Another place we liked (though no view to speak of) was Young Alfred, ground level Customs House (opp. CQ). I had a very good eggs benedict brekky and coffee was reasonable.

Customs House - Cafe Sydney is top level as mentioned by Guruswife - is a very nice old building with a fab model of Sydney CBD on the ground floor. Although it's only 50 metres away from Circular Quay it might just as well be another suburb. I find CQ just a bit, er, tacky and noisy, crowded etc. Customs House is so serene and quiet and civilised. If nothing else their toilets upstairs are so much nicer than those at Circular Quay so I would recommend your parents use them instead if they need to while they're wandering around (it's OK for the public to go in- & they're on the 1st floor).

Cafe Sydney will give you a view of the Bridge & Opera House -the others wont - so book ahead to secure a window seat.

Mentioned in this post
Customs House
Customs House
166 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Circular Quay
Circular Quay
3,469 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Sydney Hotel CBD
Sydney Hotel CBD
246 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Cafe Sydney
Cafe Sydney
3,462 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
melbourne
Level Contributor
6,754 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Circular Quay from the airport?

are they ok to catch trains??

ie not disabled or not like trains?

i only ask as i personally cant use trains.

that time of day should be fine for taxi.price and advise to find taxi already mentioned are correct.

10. Re: Circular Quay from the airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 21:19