We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stopovers; traveling to and from Australia?

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cheshire
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
stopovers; traveling to and from Australia?

Hi Has anyone any experience of travelling to Aus via Hong Kong and going to Singapore on the way back? We are planning a hol and I think the break between flights would be good but I have heard it may be better to fly straight there without the break. I would like to visit these countries on route but if it makes the journey more arduous we could skip. I would like to hear anyones opinion on this.

Thanks

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stopovers; traveling to and from Australia?

I have done that trip in reverse.Both places are good stopover opportunities ( I personally love Hong Kong so it would always be my choice). However Singapore one way and HK the other might be an idea and the other good stopover is Bangkok. I never fly staight through and never would. I definitely need the break but others will disagree.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
392 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stopovers; traveling to and from Australia?

Hi

I have flown direct to sydney from london before with just a stop to re-fuel. I was travelling alone which was why I didn't do a stopover - otherwise i would recommend you definitely do a stopover.

Hong Kong is alot 'busier' than Singapore, so singapore for your return would be good.

We fly to Oz again in October and will be taking in Singapore out and Dubai on our return (emirates). Depending on what airline you fly with, will largely depend on where your stopovers will be.

If you're travelling all the way to oz, a few days in another country will be well worth it (as well as helping the jet-lag).

Hope this helps.

LauraC

Cheshire
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stopovers; traveling to and from Australia?

Hiya

thanks for the info

that what i thougt just needed some advice

x

Dublin
Level Contributor
99 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stopovers; traveling to and from Australia?

I would stop over in these countries cos they're not the kind of places you would take a week out of your holidays to see and this is the cheapest way to see them. Cathay pacific does not charge for a stopover. I think some airlines do.

Marlborough, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stopovers; traveling to and from Australia?

Lucky you! We did the Oz trip Nov 2006 and broke it up even more.Bahrain for 2nts ( our airline did not go via Dubai). Next stop 4 nights in Hong Kong cos we love the place. Still a hell of an experience - so much to see and do-fascinating cultural experience.last was 4 nights in Singapore, great place but much more modern and not so much of a culture shock as HK, still plenty to do.

Came home via Bangkok - even more of culture shock, but fantastic temples/palaces.

A trip to Oz is an ideal time to have at least a couple of days exploring another country. It does not make the trip arduous but more interesting!I certainly could not face the flight in one hit!

Have a great hol.

Marlborough, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stopovers; traveling to and from Australia?

Go for it! We stopped over in HK. Fantastic place-cultural differences-friendly people-lots to see, do & shop. Also did Singapore - more modern than HK, but still lovely country, not such a culture shock. It is worth seeing somewhere on the way to OZ and certainly is not arduous, in fact it a great opportunity to add to the holiday experience.

By the way Bangkok is also worth seeing but is very much an 'in your face' hustle/bustle city!

Have agreat hol!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: stopovers; traveling to and from Australia?

Stopovers are great but try and make them worthwhile. Just a one night stoover isn't worth the hassle of gettingoff the palne, customs and immigration and then (sometimes) a long trip from the airport to the city and your hotel and then doing it all again in reverse the next day.

I second Hong Kond and Bangkok as great stopovers.

If you fly BA and/or Qantas codeshare you can have a choice of Hong Kong, Singapore, Bankok and even Tokyo as stopovers.

Sydney
Level Contributor
74 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: stopovers; traveling to and from Australia?

Personally I prefer to just get home in the quickest time possible - I tend to opt for a 2 hr stop over (basic refueling time) - enough time to stretch the legs and have a walk, but then again I'm young. The other reason I figure this is that I would rather spend an extra day at home before I start work again, at least at home you're gauranteed a nice comfy bed (and generally no other complications)!

My parents and parents in laws (early 50-60) always do the stop over - Hong Kong is generally the point of call for more than one night (any less and it's just not worth it, or you might as well just stay in a hotel near the airport) - it has something going at all times of night (night markets are great) or these days you could even go to Disney Land on Maccau Island : )

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: stopovers; traveling to and from Australia?

I agree with Stomborne. We do our stopovers on our way to our destination but not on flying back home. 2 (full)days are enough for us for a stopover. Also depends on your time in Australia. If you're coming for a short periode I would fly directly.

Tet

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,937 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: stopovers; traveling to and from Australia?

we always stop over and do exactly that....onwards to Europe mostly Bangkok or Hong Kong - way home we try Singapore/Bangkok or Hong Kong. We never fly straight through - I absolutely HATE flying direct...you arrive jet lagged.Having a stop-over is healthier too, as you get to stretch/walk and explore.

It also depends whether you you want to explore the country or just use the airport hotels for relaxing.

We have seen all 3 countries numerous times,in Hong Kong we just use the Airport Hotel to relax in their swimming pool. HGK Airport hotel is fab.....good pool/ excellent restaurants and 2 min walk to the terminal.

Bangkok - we always go into town and stay at one of the fantastic hotels on offer.

Singapore - its easy to just go into town to stay.-The Airport is incredibily quick to get through customs, your inside your hotel in 20mins.