We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new year in sydney

england
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
new year in sydney

i am going to be in sydney for new year

where would be the best plase to eat / see the fire works

when would i need to look a booking

is there anything i really need to know / do

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: new year in sydney

The fireworks can be seen all over Sydney Harbour.... probably the best place to see them would be on one of the cruise ferries that have special (but very expensive!) trips for that night. Most Sydneysiders, however, congregate around Circular Quay and the court around the Opera House, where you can see for free. You have to get up early for a good position, and be prepared to share that position with 46375982334 other people.

Alternatively, you could book a hotel room with a view of the Harbour Bridge: Quay Grand, Intercontinental, Shangri-La, Four Seasons. The you don't have to share with anybody! (Of course, if you invited me in, I wouldn't say no).

Most of the "view" hotels will already be booked out for this coming New Year's Eve, and those that do have rooms will be asking absolutely massive prices for what is left. The profiteering is nothing short of obscene. Shangri-La, I hear, wanted around a thousand dollars for a last-minute room last New Year's Eve.

If this were my call, I'd have you book in at one of the close-to-the-harbour hotels that DON'T attract the tourists because nobody knows about them -- like the Grand in Hunter Street, or the Palisade at Miller's Point, or the Australian up in the Rocks -- and advise you to stroll down to the shores of Circular Quay mid-afternoon. The crowds will be off-putting at first, but everyone is in holiday mode and there is a lot of goodwill everywhere (people will say to you, "I know a good spot.... come and join us!")

Remember there are two fireworks sessions: the 9 p.m. one is mainly for the kids, but it's surprising how many people give up after that one and go home. The big one, however, starts at midnight. After that it's a mad rush for the locals to get home on public transport, and we'll all envy you being able to walk for eight minutes to your room in the Grand (which is, I think, the best value of that trio mentioned above).

The only other advice I can give you at this stage is a rather famous quote -- from a different context, but still quite apropos to your situation: "whatever you do, do quickly".

Sydney
Level Contributor
361 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: new year in sydney

I believe that AlanJ has underestimated the total number of people crowded around the harbour by at least a factor of 10. In our experience, at least 1/3 of them disappear off after the 9pm fireworks due to kids. So party during these, and visit the midnight ones which are the real McCoy. Full bridge blasting and serious money up in smoke !!

Personally, unless you are seriously well heeled, I wouldn't touch a $400 or more hotel room for that night when you could get a reasonable one without a view but within walking distance of Milsons Point.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,203 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: new year in sydney

Scaraface push the boat out (yes literally) and take a New Years Harbour Cruise- you wont regret it. If you do a search for New Years Eve you will find a lot of info as we have had this subject crop up many times before on this forum.