We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney to Surfers Paradise in a day driving?

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool UK
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sydney to Surfers Paradise in a day driving?

We are staying in Sydney for 5 nights then travelling upto Surfers for a couple of nights and plan to drive there in a day - is this do-able?

Any ideas on how long approx this will take? Best route to take?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
5,996 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney to Surfers Paradise in a day driving?

I've done it many times. About a 1000k's or so. Should take you around 11 hours give or take.

Now, thats without sight seeing. Driving straight through. Stopping for fuel and a bite to eat.

Leave Sydney early in the morning, like 5am and you will do it easy.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney to Surfers Paradise in a day driving?

just be aware that the pacific highway is probably the most dangerous road in australia.

it is also a major truck route.

numerous people are killed every year in head on collisions on the less developed parts ie. undivided two lanes, of the highway.

many of these accidents are due to driver fatique ie. trying to get from brisbane to sydney or vice versa in one day.

u need to take breaks and swap drivers but that wont stop the driver coming towards you from falling asleep.

take it from one who has had his fair share of near misses.

Southport, Australia
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney to Surfers Paradise in a day driving?

You will miss so many beautful spots on the way. Why not take a cheap virginblue or jetstar flight from Sydney to gold coast (Coolangatta) then hire a car. I often fly between the two very cheaply. If you wont need a car in Surfers there is plenty of transport to Surfers from that airport. Because I am a local I use the public bus system.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,037 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney to Surfers Paradise in a day driving?

ok.. you are clearly planning on doing some driving around or you wouldn't be thinking of doing this..

you need google maps

www.google.com.au/maps use the "get directions" functionality. Very good. Insanely useful.

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,246 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney to Surfers Paradise in a day driving?

Ive done the trip quite a few times. In my younger days I used to just power through in about 10 hours but I wouldn't suggest this. The key to the drive is frequent stops and an early start. Try to pull over every 2 - 3 hours for a cofee, walk or just to stretch the legs. An overnight stay along the way could add to your time in Oz and give you another experience. Why not take a more leisurely drive and stay the night at Port Maquarie.

regards

Oscar

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,857 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydney to Surfers Paradise in a day driving?

Its certainly doable but not wise, the best option is to stopover somewhere on the way. It takes approx 10 - 11hrs straight driving with petrol stops. I have done this direct route heaps of time but its not pleasant sitting in a car for 11hrs.

You would be better off catching a cheap jetstar flight to Coolangatta from Sydney.1hour flight. (Gold Coast Airport). It would work out cheaper ie fuel/ car hire / food etc.etc.

www.jetstar.com.au

If you wish to take your time along this coastal route click on the thread for more details.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c3001/Austral…

Liverpool UK
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Sydney to Surfers Paradise in a day driving?

Thanks everyone - may rethink this one and either catch a flight or stay over - don't relish the though of 11 hours in a car when we could put that time to better use!! 9 weeks and counting......

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,713 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sydney to Surfers Paradise in a day driving?

Just to help you think about this....London to the end of Scotland...in a day???

Drivable ...yes..enjoyable..no..wipe out that day and the next one...if you don't ahve to..either catch a plane or take two days and at least enjoy the trip..

9. Re: Sydney to Surfers Paradise in a day driving?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 20:20